1752815 Members
5643 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Cleaning up" device tree

Kevin_391

"Cleaning up" device tree

B.11.23 U 9000/800

Over the past few months we've added and removed thousands of SAN devices from this host.

I have 24 FC ports and we are nearing final migration (from Clariion to DMX). The SAN admin would like me to cleanup the device tree, as this mess has created controller numbers as high as c225txdx. My plan is to..

mv /stand/ioconfig /stand/ioconfig.sav
mv /etc/ioconfig /etc/ioconfig.sav

shutdown -ry 0

Is should come to an ioinit prompt I'm assuming...

/sbin/ioinit -cr

Now I should have a nice clean device tree.

My question is, will my LVM have any issues finding my 64 VG's on the system? I've got mapfiles for all of them just in case ;-)

Any thoughts much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

>> will my LVM have any issues finding my 64 VG's on the system?

Yes it surely will - potentially *all* your DSFs will change and you will have to vgexport/vgimport them all - this could even include the disks in the root VG, so be prepered to have to go to LVM maintenance mode and vgexport/vgimport/lvlnboot the root VG as well.

Also this could change you LAN instance numbers as well, so make sure you save a copy of your lanscan output somewhere so you can also relate lan instances to HW paths.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

My first thought is "so what if you have big c/t/d numbers?" What real problem are you trying to solve?
Kevin_391

Heironimus -

My SAN admin says it's getting difficult from his side to deal with the mess. He wants it cleaned up.

We will also be adding a MC/SG failover node after the EMC migration is complete, so it'll just make it prettier too.

I'm with ya' though, I don't really care, I'm not that much of a neatfreak.
G V R Shankar
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Why do you have to reboot he server. Are you trying to remove the device fils that are NO_HW

Cheers,

Ravi.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

no, removing DSF won't help here, you have to rebuild the ioinit tree. actually, there is a limit of 255 for ext_bus instances, so if you are around 255 then there is a good point to do that procedure.

we used to have a special binary from HP somewhere laying around, I think it's name is ioconfig_dump or something similar, this used to helped us rebuilding the ioconfig.

#ioconfig_dump -w -o /root/ioconfig.new

so this command created a clear ioconfig.
Unix operates with beer.