Operating System - HP-UX
1753960 Members
7299 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "I/O error" or "not a directory" error when copying to NFS shares on Windows servers

Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

"I/O error" or "not a directory" error when copying to NFS shares on Windows servers

We're running HP-UX 11.23 and copying files to a Windows Storage Server 2003 SP2 and a Windows Server 2003R2 SP2. Both Windows servers have Microsoft Services for NFS installed. Both Windows servers have user and group mappings.

Occasionally, when copying to the Windows Storage Server, we will get a "cannot access: No such file or directory" or sometimes a "cannot create: /directoryname/filename.file: I/O error" error. When copying to the Windows 2003R2 server, we occasionally get a "error: Not a directory" error.

Sometimes we can immediately try to copy the files again and it works, sometimes it takes several times. Sometimes it seems that by simply doing a directory listing or df from unix, it will begin to work again.

The servers are patched up. I have checked disk, cpu, and network performance on both sides. None of the systems are being taxed. Some of the things I found when searching brought up the NFS losing connection. I haven't found any indication of this in the log files.

It almost seems that the Windows servers can't keep up with the HP-UX, but I can't find anything to support that from the performance logging.

Can anyone provide some useful insight using NFS between HP-UX and Windows servers?

3 REPLIES 3
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "I/O error" or "not a directory" error when copying to NFS shares on Windows servers

Maybe need to check the stability of the network.
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

I haven't found any indication of network problems. Unix to Unix file copies work fine. Windows to Windows file copies work fine. This seems to only show up on NFS between HP-UX and Windows servers.
Paul Maglinger
Regular Advisor

Closed due to lack of interest...