108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"NFS server not responding" on reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
GBR
Regular Advisor

"NFS server not responding" on reboot

I receive "NFS server not responding" repeatedly, when I rebooted the machine. The system is now hanging in the boot process. How do i get to a login prompt and disable this.
7 REPLIES 7
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Re: "NFS server not responding" on reboot

Greg, If I remember good the machine is just going to hang overthere, after a long time of being trying is going to go throught, but sometimes it just hangs.

You want to boot into single user mode and fix the issue.

Were you performing any changes to the server prior the reboot, anything different that might have cuased that service to fail?

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Boot into single user mode by pressing any key at the "10 second" prompt and entering "hpux -is" at the ISL prompt. Then edit /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf and set NFS_CLIENT and NFS_SERVER to 0 (zero). You will probably have to mount /usr to be able to use vi.

Then reboot and the system should come up with no NFS. You can then trouble-shoot your NFS problem.

Pete

Pete
Henk Geurts
Esteemed Contributor

did you try \ ?
otherwise reboot in single user mode and disable nfs in /etc/rc.config.d/
by setting switches from 1 to 0.
and reboot again.

good luck
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You can try doing a CTRL-SHIFT-| (that is - hold down CTRL and SHIFT and press the pipe symbol). That may interrupt NFS so the machine can proceed through the rest of the boot sequence.

It sounds like, though, that a server that you had an NFS mount from is not available. That needs to be checked.
GBR
Regular Advisor

Jaime,

I'm re-installing OS and was playing around with NFS. I have no need for it at this point, so I just want to turn it off.

Pete,

I'll try that.

GBR
GBR
Regular Advisor

Henk,

'control \ ?' worked... or it atleast got the boot process to continue.

Patrick,

I didn't try your method... since Henk's got me going.

Thanks guys,
GBR
GBR
Regular Advisor

Thanks folks, I got logged in and disabled NFS (Server and Client).

I then went through 'set_parms initial' to make sure my network parameters were configured properly.

Reboot successful.

GBR