5192 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Solaris to HP-UX Migration Plan"

Mr.Right
Advisor

"Solaris to HP-UX Migration Plan"

Hi Every One,

Is there any one who had worked on migrating Sun Solaris Servers to HP-UX.

I am planning on "Solaris to HP-UX Migration Plan"

Is there any one who can help me on the same.

Thanks in Advance,
Mr.Right
11 REPLIES 11
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: "Solaris to HP-UX Migration Plan"

I don't think that you can migrate Sun
Solaris Servers to HP-UX. You may be able to
migrate your computing environment from Sun
Solaris servers to HP-UX servers. The
details of how to do this might depend a
little bit on what you're doing with your Sun
Solaris servers.
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There are a few migration tools available an the HP website.

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/os/hpux11i-migrate-solaris-to-hpux-overview.html

I did a migration a few years ago, reinstalled oracle and only imported the data from a backup tape.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Virtually no information here. Like all flavors Unix, I/O management (disk, tape, LAN) will have very different commands so migration will include basic system administrator training. Solaris administrators will need to spend a lot of time for the UNIX Rosetta Stone:

http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

The Rosetta Stone will only name the command, not the actual steps so the HP-UX man pages are very important.

Another major difference will be LVM versus VxVM for disk management. While HP-UX has VxVM available, the vast majority of HP-UX installations will use LVM.

Are you moving simple workstations or very small servers? In that case, the hardware differences are not a major concern as they would be with massively large systems such as the SuperDome. Migration to large scale systems, probably using Service Guard clusters and virtual machines will definitely require extra training or consultants to handle the tasks.

And of course the applications will be the biggest tasks since none of the native code will run on HP-UX. New versions will be required along with moving the data to the new disks. Note that while the data may reside on a SAN system, it is not likely to be compatible, whether raw or file systems. SAN setup may be different for HP-UX depending on the storage system.

So without the model numbers for the Sun and HP-UX boxes, the disk storage systems, network setups, etc, all the advice will be simplistic. If the target HP-UX platforms have not been picked yet, then you will definitely need some good consulting help to make the plan successful.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

If you're talking about a reasonable number of servers and are actually intending to purchase new equipment, contact your HP sales rep. I'm almost positive they'll be very motivated to help you plan a migration, get you in contact with top people to help, and bring all the required justifications (TCO, etc) to warrant a migration.

Oh, and this works both ways, if you ever decide to stick with Solaris.

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

I support all the comments above about the two being entirely different and for you to focus on database conversion.

Years ago I was a database conversion programmer converting data from PICK to AIX or PICK to Solaris. In general, we by passed most of the O/S differences, for example, LVM in HP-UX is extent based structured while Solaris is sub disk based. Ignore all this and focus on getting the correct file system structure, which is 90% the same and the database scheme. Then its a simple tape restoration as the O/S will figure it out automajically.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

[...] focus on database conversion.

Who said that there's a data base involved?
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Mr.Right ,
You have to provide more information about the migration,
- What are the applications running on Solaris box,
- Do you want to migrate them all.
- to check code compatibility. 3rd party software compatibilty with hp-ux version intended to migrate to, 32 bit /64 bit compatibility ,
- What HP hardware to be use, Integrity with montecito. or PA .
- What are the current storage equipements. etc.

Also take a look at the: SHPK : Solaris to HP-UX porting Kit,

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=0108d300f3f02110d300f3f02110275d6e10RCRD

Also:
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/shpk/slpk_shpk_presentation_08.pdf

Hth,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Oh, a box without data in it. LOL. (* unbelievable *)
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

...and since neither the original nor the destination platform is specified, it's always possible that you could run into "endianess" differences between the old and new platforms.

If such exist, and you do indeed have a databases, your vendord should be able to provide the required docs on how to port the data...