New Discussion юеВ

Re: re : redhat linux 5.1 help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

re : redhat linux 5.1 help

Hi Guys,
I have a elite book 6930p install with redhat linux 5.1 enterprise, the network is working, but somehow or rather I can't get the wireless , sound and brightness to work. Can someone advance . Is there drivers for the wireless card and how can it be setup. Thanks in advance

Regards
Vincent
nothing is better than to know more
5 REPLIES 5
Glenn S. Davidson
Trusted Contributor
Solution

This laptop should have this wireless device in it:

Intel WiFi Link 5300

Check here for the driver:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=3062
Conformity Destroys a mans initiative and independence. It supresses his powerful inner drive to do his own thing.
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the info, but i have already try setting up the wireless but it don't seems to work, Please advice with steps??

Regards
Vincent
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

I do not have a Linux 5.1 entreprise, and I do not own a 6930p, but after following and reading information from the link in the previous reply,and if you are willing to give use more informations I am sure someone from this forum will help!

First what kernel version are you running
resulte of command
# uname -a

does the command dmessg return information (extracts about wifi attached here would help).

If you are running a kernel less then 2.6.24 then we probably need to walk to the whole process if it is above it should already be in your kernel.

Is the command iwconfig returning any useful information ?

Do not hold your breath I do not say I can help you be for sure but if you are willing to feed the beast (this forum) I am sure some of use will be able to assist you, and we may learn something in return.

Enjoy life.

Jean-Pierre Huc
Smile I will feel the difference
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi,
I appreicate it if anyone of you can help.My kernal version is 2.6.18-53, and when I run uname -a it shows Linux skywalker 2.6.18-53.el5PAE. When I run iwconfig it return with
lo no wireless extensions
eth1 no wireless extensions
sit0 no wireless extension

Attach is the output from dmesg for your referrence.

Regards
Vincent
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

You need the iwlagn kernel module compiled in your kernel, and that seem to be compiled in to most 2.6.27 or 2.6.26 kernels.

Probably the ease path is to upgrade the kernel to that version, if this is available to your distribution.

If I do the following on my Fedora 10 Laptop

grep -i "iwlagn" /boot/config 2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.i686
CONFIG_IWLAGN=m
CONFIG_IWLAGN_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT=y
CONFIG_IWLAGN_LEDS=y

I can see the module is compiled into the kernel I use.

If I do the following

find / -name "*iwlagn*"
/lib/modules/2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlagn.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.i686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlagn.ko

I see two versions of iwlagn modules for my version of kernel, try find this from your /lib/modules/

have a look in your /boot/config-2.6.18-53* to see if this is present... If and you can not upgrade then try getting hold of the source code for this module and your kernel then compiled it in your version of kernel.

I read your attachment and I see no trace of any wifi hardware recognition... It does return an eth1 error, but I suppose this is from a left-over set up that you tried.

Please try and assign points to every individual reply, so we can measure, evaluate our replies to you, this is also good for motivations thanks.

enjoy, life.

Jean-Pierre Huc

Smile I will feel the difference