7466 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure

Nick Raceu
Occasional Advisor

received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure

Hello,

After installing the DST patch (PHCO_35991) and rebooting the machine, I can not use AUTOSYS software. I get the following error: "Pid 8429 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure. Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space, or stack size exceeded maxssiz."
I'm new to HP-UX so please let me know what info should I provide.
I'm running HP-UX B.11.00 and Oracle 8.0.6
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure

I very much doubt that the tztab patch had anything to do with your problem. It is probable that you either exceeded a kernel limit (maxdsiz or maxssiz) or more swap is needed.

Please post the output of these commands:

kmtune
swapinfo -tam
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Nick,

I have to wonder if these two aren't just coincidence. The DST patch really only affect the /usr/lib/tztab file which shouldn't have any affect on maxssize. Check the date/time stamps on /stand/system, /stand/vmunix and /stand/vmunix.prev, compared against /etc/shutdownlog. I'm wondering if someone played with maxssiz, then built a new kernel but never re-booted with that new kernel.

Pete

Pete
Nick Raceu
Occasional Advisor

Hi Clay,
here is the info:
/home/root# swapinfo -tam
Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 1024 0 1024 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
reserve - 226 -226
memory 998 102 896 10%
total 2022 328 1694 16% - 0 -
Nick Raceu
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pete,

Looks like the system has been rebooted several times since the last kernel has been re-built:
root@chapters:/stand# ls -ltr
total 70166
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 Dec 20 2000 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 19 Dec 20 2000 bootconf
-r--r--r-- 1 root sys 82 Dec 20 2000 kernrel
drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 1024 Dec 21 2000 system.d
-r--r--r-- 1 root sys 1103 Dec 22 2000 system.prev2
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 980 Feb 1 2001 system_chapter1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 11622256 Feb 23 2001 vmunix.prev2
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 1038 Jan 19 2002 system.prev
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 12117872 Jan 19 2002 vmunix.prev
drwxr-xr-x 5 root sys 1024 Jan 19 2002 dlkm.vmunix.prev
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 1045 Jan 19 2002 system
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 12117872 Jan 19 2002 vmunix
drwxr-xr-x 3 root sys 2048 Jan 19 2002 build

Here are some rebootes in the last 3 years:
16:38 Thu Feb 19, 2004. Reboot: (by chapters!root)
16:22 Wed Jul 21, 2004. Reboot: (by chapters!root)
11:37 Thu Sep 16, 2004. Reboot: (by chapters!root)
14:57 Tue Mar 1, 2005. Reboot: (by chapters!root)
17:40 Thu Dec 8, 2005. Reboot: (by chapters!root)
14:40 Fri Mar 9, 2007. Reboot: (by chapters!root)

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Your box is running with the out-of-the-box settings for maxdsiz, maxtsiz, and maxssiz.

Your current settings have maxssiz set to 8MiB and maxdsiz and maxtsiz both set to 64MiB.

I would increase maxssiz to 32MiB, maxdsiz to 512MiB, and maxtsiz to 128MiB and see if your problems go away.
Nick Raceu
Occasional Advisor

Clay, I have increased maxssiz to 32MiB, maxdsiz to 512MiB, and maxtsiz to 128MiB, however i still get same error when trying to start the AutoSys event server.
Thanks
Nick
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor

That message is only generated when there really *is* a stack growth failure.

You raised maxssiz -- which is the most obvious thing to try [though I agree with you that the kernel settings should have been the same].

Next most obvious is swap available (since growth of any virtual object requires swap reservation), your swapinfo output shows plenty of space available... I presume you looped swapinfo or used Glance to monitor to ensure that AUTOSYS doesn't consume most of the swap just starting up (for Data, etc.) and then get the SIGSEGV for swap... and tear itself down so you see plenty of resources again.

Third in the list is lockable memory (mlock/plock interfaces) if this application is allowed to lock pages. Again, with so much available -- this shouldn't be coming into play unless the Text/Data/non-stack allocations of the application consume all/most of the memory first.

To address the points above, if you haven't already monitor the system state using Glance or other tools while you try to run AUTOSYS -- just to ensure it doesn't spike up and then return the system to previous state.

Assuming that it isn't doing this (and my gut is that it isn't), I would expect that AUTOSYS is actually having a recursion loop and truly exhausting the stack. If it appears to run longer (if the wall clock time is measurable) after raising maxssiz, that would support this theory. Additionally, you could/should check for a core file and see if the stack object within the core file is sized at or near maxssiz and what the stack trace was for the application at the time.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

That message is only generated when there really *is* a stack growth failure.

It would be more accurate to say that that message was probably generated on a stack growth failure but the actual message is entirely dependent upon what signal handler was in place for SIGSEGV for the process at the time.

Autosys is extremely easy to misconfigure; I would suggest that you contact Computer Associates for support.
Nick Raceu
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunatley i dont have support from Ca and also, nothing has been changed on the AUTOSYS app, just the DST patch for the HP-UX and the reboot.
Nick