Operating System - HP-UX
1752625 Members
4396 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: reconnect to disconnected ssh session - is it possible?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

reconnect to disconnected ssh session - is it possible?

Hi!
I have an annoying problem: if my ssh connection to my hp-ux server is dropped, i can't reconnect to that session - just open a new one. Is there any way to solve this problem?
7 REPLIES 7
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

i doubt it...as the session should have died on the server you want to connect to as well...unless you've got something in the background, nohup'd etc...
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

OldSchool: Yes, i mean if i'm running some script or somethig like this - still there's no way to reconnect, isn't it?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I usually send a process into background or start it from console in order to keep it running if my session disconnects unexpected.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

You cannot reconnect... The shell will be stopped (it will receive a HUP signal) and all processes will be disconnected from the tty.

The only way would be to use a command like screen as the first thing when logging on the server. Then you can reconnect to the session: the shell and everything running under it will communicate with the screen command.

Main problem: screen is not standard HP-UX. And tsm gives some of the funcionality of screen, but not the functionality you're looking for.

My previous employer had a solution called 'share' for SCO and HP-UX (it had everything screen has, plus terminal emulation on terminals, record-and-playback, etc) but there was no market for it (you weren't on the market, apparently) so we dropped the project.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Ok, gentlemen, thank you all for help!
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

if "screen" meets your needs (and according to posts above, it might), you can download the source and build it. see:

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

OldSchool: what packages should i have on my hp-ux box (11.31 base OE) to build it?