6964 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remote access

ramadashsuresh
Frequent Advisor

remote access

Hai

in my mail server is running in linux EL4 on different place in my cabin i would like to access and operate the spcific services in mail server from my system without login into different session with same session session which is running in my mailserver

any one know share with me
thanking you
suresh.r
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

operate the specific services in mail server..

As in SSH in and start/stop services (using the service command et al), or as in create some web interface so you can just web-browse to it?

Either is possible.

The 'sshd' service should already be running which you should be able to log into with basically any SSH client ('putty' for windows, 'ssh' for any of the *nix/bsd's).

Using a web interface to manage services requires a tool like 'webmin', 'plesk' or 'cpanel'. There are tons about, most of which are licensed, all of which do much more than manage 'services', and have security holes the size of Texas.

The second statement/request confuses me. "without login into different session with same session session which is running in my mailserver".. Huh?
One long-haired git at your service...
ramadashsuresh
Frequent Advisor

Actually i want to see the remote desktop for my mail server and i can also operate the same desktop but i try to connect the system through remotely it will ask the user name and password and starts the new session in that new session i can't to see what is actualy going on.

so i really want to see the actual desktop and to operate the that desktop session only

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Set up 'vncserver', and use an 'xstartup' which has your windows manager of choice.

Either that, or set your login session to be 'remotely accessable' (gnome allows this), which will allow a VNC connection to your existing desktop. So you log in from console, then can access it from VNC from then on.
One long-haired git at your service...