1753307 Members
6769 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remote backup through sam

Saurabh_3
Occasional Contributor

remote backup through sam

I have got two L 1000,2000 boxes. Second one is connected with DLT. I want to take backup of my L 1000 server on DLT connected to L2000 using sam. But i am getting a message "unable to open device ". Whenever I try to do so through sam , Using remote backup device through L1000 server. Pls tell me if any settings are to be made.

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Why do you not start the fbackup in line mode from the cron ?
But be sure, that the second backup starts, when the first is finished. And use the no rewind device for the first backup.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
P.S.
Check the man pages of fbackup for the options.
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Manuel P. Ron
Frequent Advisor

You must enable remote login features in L2000 server.
You can do it in SAM option (Networking & Communications > System Access > Remote Logins)or creating the files /etc/hosts.equiv and /.rhosts according man pages explain it.
Basically, you must 'say' to L2000 server that your L1000 server is equivalent and root users too.
Then, try a rlogin from L1000 to L2000. It must not ask for password.
This configuration is a security risk. A root user in L1000 has full access in L2000. You can minimize it with cron jobs that modify that files in L2000 server five minutes before backup start and, after ten minutes, restore it to original state. Once time that backup start, rlogin session is not needed and you can disable it.
Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month. - Wernher von Braun
Hamdy Al-Sebaey
Regular Advisor

Hi Gaurav,

I think through sam you can manage that,for example imagine that L2000 is the remote server,then start sam on L1000 select backup,add automated backup,remote backup device,here you give the tape device from L2000,but just remember L1000 must be known by L2000 through /etc/host.equiv file.

Goodluck,
Hamdy
Thanks for sharing knowledge