New Discussion юеВ

Re: removing filesystem swap

SOLVED
Go to solution
JLee_1
Advisor

removing filesystem swap

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys could weigh in on removing filesystem swap (HP-UX 11.00). I'm cleaning up a box that hasn't been touched for a while, and I noticed that one of the local disks was used to create a vg & lv solely for a filsystem swap area. We don't need it, so I'd like to remove it and reclaim that disk. I've heard a couple different approaches to doing that, so I wanted to try and get some clarification beforehand.

The first option I've heard is to go through the normal steps of lvremove/vgremove, and reboot, to blow it away.

I've also heard that the only way to remove it is to comment out (or remove) the entry in the fstab and reboot. Would this be an issue at boot time though, since there's an entry in the lvmtab for this vg & disk?

There's also an option in SAM to 'remove' a swap area - anyone gone that route before?

Any input is appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

you can do either commenting out from the /etc/fstab or use sam to remove it. But in both cases, you will need to reboot your machine. And, no, if you comment it in the fstab and reboot, it will not cause any problems at the boot time. After the reboot, you can clean up the LV and the VG.

HTH

Hi:

Comment-out or remove the 'fstab' entry for the secondary swap and reboot. This will deactivate the device swap in question. After you do this you are at liberty to 'lvremove' the logical volume. Then, if the parent volume group isn't needed anymore, you can 'vgexport' it to cleanup the volume group device files and the '/etc/lvmtab'.

On the latest 11.31 release, there is a new 'swapoff' facility which eliminates rebooting to deactivate secondary swap. Don't you wish you were there? :-)

Regards!

...JRF...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

>>I've also heard that the only way to remove it is to comment out (or remove) the entry in the fstab and reboot. Would this be an issue at boot time though, since there's an entry in the lvmtab for this vg & disk?

That would be the correct way to do it and no, you will not have an issue at boot time - it's just another VG to the system. Ultimately you may want to lvremove/vgremove in order to use the space for something else but first you've got to make it non-swap space.

Pete

Pete
JLee_1
Advisor

On the latest 11.31 release, there is a new 'swapoff' facility which eliminates rebooting to deactivate secondary swap. Don't you wish you were there? :-)

Haha... do I.

Thanks for the quick repsonses, guys - I really appreciate it.
JLee_1
Advisor

thanks again -