New Discussion юеВ

Re: restore file system

SOLVED
Go to solution
navin
Super Advisor

restore file system

hello,
i have a root filesystem backup in our ack up env - in case of a root disk failure - what is the procedure to restore the system from the cold backup.
thanks in advance
Learning ...
9 REPLIES 9
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

How did you make this backup of the root filesystem?

The best backup for the whole boot disk is a recovery tape aka Ignite tape. Check out the make_tape_recovery and make_net_recovery commnads.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can't restore anything if the root disk fails -- there is no HP-UX to run your restore program. You must use Ignite/UX to create a bootable tape. An standard backup (tar, cpio, pax, fbackup) is only useful when the root disk is working.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Navin,

you can only restore root (o/s) if you had created ignite bootable tape, i believe there is no other way to restore os backup, if you have taken backup for these server in your through you backup s/w it will be as data backup which will not work when your os will coruupt, thanks,
navin
Super Advisor

Thanks for all your replies.I will surely give the credit for your time and appreciate your expertise.I'm searching for an alternate recovery method oppose to recovering from make net recovery -
How about doing an install using media ,create a filesystems and restore from cold backup.Or using dd from a working disk from another system.
thanks
Learning ...
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Navin

u can make ignite backup for the root file system.

thanks and regards

sajjad
Bijeesh
Respected Contributor

hi
if you are having ignite backup, try to restore from it.

>>>I'm searching for an alternate recovery method oppose to recovering from make net recovery>>>
see the below link and refer Clay's lifeboat disk.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1241280829373+28353475&threadId=1060083
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> I'm searching for an alternate recovery method oppose to recovering from make net recovery - How about doing an install using media ,create a filesystems and restore from cold backup.Or using dd from a working disk from another system.

Are you saying that you do not have a tape drive? Copying the disk from another system will mess up your I/O as information about I/O paths is stored on the root disk. If you use the install media, you'll have a lot of work to do to make the filesystems match and then restore all the files with correct permissions and ownership.

If you have a tape drive, the simplest method to save your root disk and restore it is to use Ignite/UX. If you must use a network solution, the only reliable method is to use the network capability of Ugnite/UX.

If you have a lot of unused disks, then Clay's lifeboat method will work but don't think about using it until you can arrange a full test (hours of downtime, swap disks, restore, etc). If you have never tested this solution, you may find yourself with nothing.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

HI,
The best way to take root backup is make_tape_recovery and for restore

Restoring from a make_tape_recovery Tape on Itaniums systems
With the latest firmware, for most systems you can simply boot the tape device,
but for older version to boot from an Ignite Tape you need to do this stapes

1. Insert the CoreOS DVD-ROM into the DVD-ROM drive.
2. Boot the system.
3. Interrupt the boot sequence to redirect it to the DVD-ROM drive.
4. Cancel the non-interactive installation by hitting the key when the
following messages are displayed:

WARNING: The configuration information calls for a noninteractive installation.
Press within 10 seconds to cancel batch-mode installation:

The ├в User Interface and Media Options├в screen will be presented.

5. Check ├в Media only installation├в and ├в Guided installation├в
6. The ├в Media Installation├в screen will be presented.
7. Check ├в Boot from CD/DVD, Recover from Tape├в option
8. Choose the appropriate tape drive in the ├в Tape Drive Selection├в screen
9. Make any desired changes to the file systems, hostname, IP address, timezone,
root password, DNS server, and gateway information.

10. Select [ GO ] to proceed with the installation.

Suraj
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

The easiest is
1) download and install ignite-ux
2) put a tape in the tape drive and run
make_tape_recovery command

Do this monthly once
and whenever you do patching or make too many changes in the server