1748128 Members
3616 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: root account locked.

TheresaR
Frequent Advisor

root account locked.

I entered the wrong root password three times. There is no real console, we access via kvm switch. I can get to the MP consolee from the KVM switch but the login is locked in the Commercial database and only console login can unlock it. Any advice besides interrupting the boot sequence
12 REPLIES 12
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I believe that your only recourse is to interrupt and boot into single-user mode.

Regards!

...JRF...
TheresaR
Frequent Advisor

How can I get a "real" console so I don't have to go rebooting everytime my fat fingers lock me out?
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> There is no real console, [...]

Define "real console".

> [...] the Itaniums. [...]

Define "the Itaniums".
TheresaR
Frequent Advisor

Are you being sarcastic?
I may not be technically correct but . . .
If you want to know what I mean by console I mean a physical monitor that connects directly to the back of the server.
Itanium is the brand name for 64-bit Intel microprocessors that implement the Intel Itanium architecture (formerly called IA-64). Intel has released two processor families using the brand: the original Itanium and the Itanium 2.
We had HP-UX 9000's with monitors that we all referred to as the console.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If you can get to the MP console then what you have is just as good as a serial console.

You should always be able to log into the server from the MP console, as root, even if the account is locked.
TheresaR
Frequent Advisor

Exactly. And there lies the probem. It is not acting like a console. Since I cannot log in as root when the account is disabled in the commercial account. I can even go the MP and do a CO and I still get a message, "login to the console to reset".
Do you know what I mean?

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You'll have to forgive Steven. I doubt he has a sarcastic bone in his body. He likes everything to spelled out extra-explicitly. If you hang around long enough you'll get used to him. Or you won't. ;)

I would open a call with HP about this issue. Something is definitely not behaving correctly. Perhaps it is a firmware issue. HP should, hopefully, be able to help you diagnose the issue.
TheresaR
Frequent Advisor

I put in a trouble call to HP a year ago and after much back and forth and installing patches, I gave up.
Yes, I know that the MP console should act like a serial terminal.
I try my best not to lock the password but sometimes stuff happens.
TheresaR
Frequent Advisor

OK. I forgive Steven. I thought maybe he was scoffing at my choice of words.
When I have time I will pursue the console thing again.