Operating System - HP-UX
1753779 Members
7772 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

root directory is 100 % full,in HP-UX as i mistakenly mistyped in coldbackup

vijayakumarJ

root directory is 100 % full,in HP-UX as i mistakenly mistyped in coldbackup

Can anyone please help me,as my root directory is 100 % full,due to coldbackup done.
in /dev/rmt folder there is a file which as the huge space occupied.iam unable to move,copy or delete the fileto other location.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: root directory is 100 % full,in HP-UX as i mistakenly mistyped in coldbackup

> [...] iam unable to move,copy or delete the
> file[...]

Delete would be good. "I am unable" is not a
useful description.

What did you try?

What happened when you tried it?

If some process still has the file open, then
I'd guess that you should kill that process
before trying "rm".
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Re: root directory is 100 % full,in HP-UX as i mistakenly mistyped in coldbackup

Vijayakumar,

What is the file you are trying to delete (which is the folder in /dev/rmt)

give me the output of the ls -la from the folder which you are trying to delete/move

Check the permission of the file and see which process is associated.

As suggested by Steven Schweda kill the process and try rm.
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,
>>iam unable to move,copy or delete the fileto other location.

1st kill the process which is creating the file means which command you ran for taking backup kill that command it will automatically remove this file, if not then delete this file using rm command.

Suraj
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

According to your attachment, the problem file would seem to be named "/dev/rmt/2mn -i" (note the space).

If you have now booted the system to single-user mode, first run "mountall" to get the root filesystem out of read-only mode. In single-user mode, you cannot make any changes before doing that.

To remove a file containing a space, you must put quotes around the full pathname. If the problem is just a space character, this is easy:

rm -i "/dev/rmt/2mn -i"

(The -i option makes the rm command to ask before deleting the file.)

If the filename contains other invisible characters, you may have to use another method. To see the invisible characters, use "ll -b /dev/rmt" it will list the invisible characters using a backslash escape notation (\ddd) which you can directly use in the command line... so just copy & paste the name of the troublesome file from the "ll -b" output to the rm command.

Further alternatives:

There should be no regular files in /dev/rmt, only devices. Therefore we can tell the system to delete all regular files in that directory:

find /dev/rmt -type f -exec rm {} \;

If nothing else helps, an acceptable brute-force method would be to remove the entire /dev/rmt directory and then re-create it using "insf -e -Ctape".

MK
MK
vijayakumarJ

Thanks alot,

It worked as per the instruction given...

I could remove the file by issuing the command in quotes.

Thanks alot for your Help