Operating System - HP-UX
1753747 Members
5108 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: root directory is 100%. unable to identify file trimmable and no more pv to extend

SOLVED
Go to solution
apple
Super Advisor

root directory is 100%. unable to identify file trimmable and no more pv to extend

Dear HPUX gurus,
I was in dilemma. Im unable to identify the trimmable files in root directory. it looks to me os related files which i can't trim ie /opt, /etc.Attached is the command that i use:
find / -size +2048, find /opt -size +2048
Appreciate your reply. Many thanks. Hope to hear from you.
12 REPLIES 12
Vijaykumar_1
Valued Contributor

Re: root directory is 100%. unable to identify file trimmable and no more pv to extend

/opt is a different filesystem.

find /filesystemname -xdev -size +1000000c -exec ll {} \; |sort -rnk 5 |more

Use the above command to identify the large files ..
apple
Super Advisor

Dear Sir,
Thank you
Attached is the output. what are the criteria of files trimmable in /etc and /sbin? Hope to hear from you. Many thanks in advance.
Jim Walls
Trusted Contributor
Solution

/.secure/etc/audfil

This looks like the culprit. If you do not require Auditing simply delete it - and then use SAM to turn off the audit functions.

If you do require Auditing then you should move this very large file into a more suitable file system. An probably switch off Auditing until you can set up a proper file management regime.

Take note that Auditing generates large amounts of data, which has to be carefully managed.

Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Ur root directory is 100% full , u can check by rebooting the server , if possibl and also check is there any core file resides in root directory, if found simply delete core file.

Cheers//
Taifur
Vijaykumar_1
Valued Contributor

You need not house keep /etc and /sbin. These directories contain the system configuration files and commands..

Instead you need to find other files, else extend the root FS.
Akif_1
Super Advisor

Hi APPLE,

I agree with our colleague regarding deleting below file you can reduce the size and stop auditing, If u need in future keep a tab on this folder.

-rw------- 1 root root 1801535478 Jun 28 11:15 /.secure/etc/audfil
e2

How to reduce file size=0:

cp /dev/null file

(or)
dd if=/dev/zero of=output.file bs=1 count=1

Rgd's
T(ogether) E(very one) A(chive) M(ore)
apple
Super Advisor

Dear Sir,
Many thanks.
what is the safest and permanent step to disable the audit?
How to know the system is trusted system? do I need to handle it specially?
Sir, is it possible to list the steps? Hope to hear from you.
do i need to stop the audit service first, disable it and only nullify the file? Hope to hear from you. Many thanks in advance.
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

you can stop auditing from sam
or
/sbin/init.d/auditing stop

you can delete the old auduting files without issue, but take proper approval before stopping auditing caouse its important from security point of view.

BR,
Kapil+

I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
apple
Super Advisor

# /sbin/init.d/auditing stop
auditing system halted
audomon stopped
and nullify the file. it does wonder. Many thanks