5691 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: root file system full

Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Good idea...Is this thing confirmed?
does the link has to be setup in a certain way or permissions? or link it as it is now?
will moving this directoyry change the dates of the files or cause any problems in the future?

MO
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Mohammed,

read my postings again! Do not delete any system files!!!!!!

du and df is useless if problem occures from a "hidden" file. This was written before and I don't believe you really understand my previous postings!

Reboot is not the only option, due to the fact that every application returns open file handles, resources etc. to the os if it will be terminated the simples solution is to restart the application.

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Are these resources in the /proc directory?
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

why? proc is only an API reflecting internals.

Why not using the simple "ps" command and restart your applications? It could be only one of your private applications....

But be sure partition size and df does not match! If so your filesystem is really full and you must delete one of the other files.
(PS: be sure no mountpoint overlays existing files e.g. /mnt contains files but is now mounted to /dev/rz5c)
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Ralf,

The disklabel partition size on rz8a is 128.351 MB
The df -k reports total size 129.110 and used is 128.586
Do you think that the root partition is getting smaller or is full and now I need to enlarge the partition somehow??
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Mohammed,

with this facts it seems there are no "hidden" files. At what time have you noticed the filesystem full message? Maybe your filesystem is really too small or a big file leads to this problem.

Only chance without reorganisation of filesytem is to find a big file which can be moved (e.g. old kernel).
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Ralf,

what do you think about my idea? I had this problem once myself.
I still think, this problem is caused by overlayed files in mount points. Which application would use 60mb in /?

Have you deleted any big files lately in /?

hth,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Michael,

removing /sys/binary is not a good idea, rebooting not necessary (this is not windows it is unix ;-) )

Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

Hi all
Thanks for your contributions and time.

I have rebooted the system and the size came back to normal. I am not sure what was holding the size too high, but rebooting might have released space that didn't release normally from a process as mentioned above.

I rebooted from the OS cd-rom, repartitioned the system disk with a larger partition for the root (/) so it can hold more space in case something like this happens again

After repartitioning, I have restored /, /usr and /var from a backup, then rebooted the system and it works again as usual.

Thanks all

Mohamed
Mohamed  K Ahmed
Trusted Contributor

The problem was fixed.
The /dev/null file was not a charcter device file, it was fixed, and the space is stable.

Mohamed