108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp7400/N4000 boot challenge

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Boniwell
Frequent Advisor

rp7400/N4000 boot challenge

I am working with an rp7400 -checking out second user system. one processor, no additional PCI cards, 1Gb (2x512) memory. System boots 11 from disk in at address 1.6 but when disk is moved to 0.6 the boot fails after PDC transfer. Error in GSP logs indicates that the processor is complaining. Fault light comes up on panel. A new disk in 0.6 can be mounted and verifies with STM and all other hardware checks and tests are OK. Any ideas about why the slot 0.6 will not permit boot?

TIA steve
One man's magic..............
3 REPLIES 3
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: rp7400/N4000 boot challenge

Hi Steve,

The hardware path is included in the boot command of the disk

fe

mkboot -a "hpux -lq ($HW_PATH;0)/stand/vmunix" $RDEV

If you change the HW path, you must change it also with mkboot.

Be carefull with this because if make a mistake it is possible that the server doesn't boot anymore
Steve Boniwell
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Luk,

Is this new "functionality " at 11 - cos I used to run a K Class with 10.20 that I could boot from alternative disks that moved around the SCSI environment. Ditto on some 700 workstations that I used to use for support purposes when I had two varieties of 9 and 10.20 as well.
One man's magic..............

Hi, Seteve,
You are true, even I have done it with a K class machine. But with new servers, I too faced this issue once and was resolved by creating mkboot with the new hardware path

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions