1748140 Members
3578 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: rpm: error while loading shared libraries: librpm-4.2.so

skt_skt
Honored Contributor

rpm: error while loading shared libraries: librpm-4.2.so

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 7)
2.4.21-40.ELsmp

#ntpdate adedd05p
ntpdate: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[root@tacld173p profile.d]# rpm -q --whatprovides librpm-4.2.so
rpm: error while loading shared libraries: librpm-4.2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[root@tacld173p profile.d]# rpm -qa|grep -i librpm
rpm: error while loading shared libraries: librpm-4.2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am getting those alerts after an unplanned reboot. Any one faced the same error earlier
9 REPLIES 9
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that it's time to boot in emergency mode and run fsck to your root file system.

All that library files are in /usr/lib. Post the results of

ls -la /usr/lib/
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

# ls -la /usr/lib|wc -l
On a working system we see around 1094 files..

I see lot of FS error too
Nov 2 18:36:05 tacld173p kernel: EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,4)): ext3_get_inode_loc: bad inode number: 215677
Nov 2 18:36:05 tacld173p kernel: EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,4)) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: IO failure
Nov 2 18:36:05 tacld173p kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Nov 2 18:36:05 tacld173p kernel: 3a:04: rw=0, want=67108868, limit=3145728
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

This looks like a serious problem. ¿Are you using a hardware RAID? ¿Is your hardware RAID sane? You do need to fsck your file systems.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

fsck is ok all FS after getting to rescue mode. (after selecting SKIP) option. But the continue and read only options are only able to mount /mnt/sysimage or , /mnt/sysimage/boot and /mnt/sysimage/home . Rest i could mount manually.So all LVs are able to mount RW manually

#chroot /mnt/sysimage failing with "segmentation fault"..Any more idea
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

"restaged the server" finally
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

closed
Andrés Caro
Occasional Contributor

Dwar Santhosh Kumar Theyyan. How did you repair this problem?. I have the same librpm-4.2.so problem and the files are present in the lib/ directory
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

mine was a corrupted file system and not in a position to boot and do fsck. I would recommend tp go with the error "libreadline.so.4:" and find the cause as i think your scenario may be entirely diffrent.
Andrés Caro
Occasional Contributor

My Problem is very different, i get this error when Oracle EL 5 boot in a new fresh installation (this is the 64 bit version the 32 bit version runs wells) in our Proliant ML 150 Server.

Thank you for the reply anyway.