1753500 Members
4498 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

samba for printing

Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

samba for printing

I've got an HP-UX 11 system here, and need to be able to print to existing printer shares on a single Windows 2003 server.

Samba appears to be on my unix system already; I'm assuming that the /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf file is the correct config file.

At present I don't need Samba to do anything except make those Win2003 printer shares available to my unix printers. Since it's a database that's printing, and not users, I don't even care about authentication for printing, somthing generic would suffice. No users log into unix.

I know Samba can do much more, but I need a fast track to getting just the SMB printing thing running.

Can anyone provide me with some assistance, a top-level list of steps maybe?

I have the O'Reilly 'Using Samba' book and I'm currently reading what seems appropriate but even if you can point me to relevant stuff in that book, it would be great.

This is a small step in a bigger project, I -need- to shut down a dying NT4 server which is currently sharing those printers. Unix gets to them now via a very old version of FacetWin, which can't talk to Win2003.

Thanks,

Fred
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
12 REPLIES 12
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Re: samba for printing

getting this message when trying to print from unix; where do i get info on error messages?

error code 127 in request sambatest-3231 on printer sambatest
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Are the smbd and nmbd services required for smbclient or are they just used if I want to serve anything from unix? I'm not, I only want to sent print jobs to windows shared printers.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

couple other ideas.

W2K3 server use lpr. Then configure UX to send job to remote printer.

Put printers on network and print directly to them.

I try not to throw a whole nother layer of software to accomplish a simple task.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

For lpr, the printer on the windows box would have to be set up for lpr specifically, right? I'm trying to print to existing printers set up with TCP/IP or JetDirect ports.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

you need to determine if they are ethernet cards, jetdirect cards, or some mix of the two.

if they are jetdirect, then simply set them up as network printers,

if they are ethernet, then it may be possible to set them up as remote printers w/o going thru windows....

if you really want to print via the windows box then all you should need to do is set them up as remote printers on the hp box. If you don't have Windows Services for UNIX installed, you'll need it. AFAIK, you don't need to set up additional ports on the Windows side to do this.

You shouldn't need SAMBA printing to do any of this...
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

I assume you mean "Print Services for Unix" under "Windows Components / Other Netwrok File and Print Services"

I'll be looking into that immediately.

Fred
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

I added Print Services for Unix, on the Win2003 Server.

Interesting, it didn't allow any configuration, nothing regarding security etc and I can't even find where to turn off the service now that it's there.

Is there any way to control -who- can print to the printer via unix?

Anyway, on the unix box I added a remote printer with SAM and it works fine.

So, thanks for the assistance.

One note, it prints in a fairly small font on the Windows printer (an HP4000, in this case). I assume that there is nothing that unix can do about that?
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Our unix print jobs from the database send control codes to the printers to set character pitch at either 10 or 16.5. I have the correct codes, we've always used them with FacetWin.

Using rlp though, the codes don't seem to survive and instead appear in the print job, something like:

[]&k2SFirst Line of text

...rather than being picked up as a control code by the printer. I'm guessing the first ESC is not being read.

Any ideas?

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Fred,

> I'm trying to print to existing printers set up with TCP/IP or JetDirect ports.

In that case, since these printers are directly attached to the network, I think you want to define them to you HP-UX box with HPPI (HP Printer Installer). You'll need to download and install HPPI:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=18922&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=27349тМй=en&cc=us

Then you can either set up your printers interactively by running hppi or by command line with the addqueue command.

Pete

Pete