4128 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

samba for printing

Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Re: samba for printing

Thank Pete.

The printer is also set up with a queue on a Windows box. Is there the potential for unix to send a job to the printer when it's busy with a job from Windows?

We have a few network printers here that are served by two Win servers with their own queues, rather than one passing to the other, and they occasionally get locked up when a large job is sent from both machines at the same time.

Fred
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

I modified the unix printer's interface file to show me a copy of the temp file that it sends to Windows with rlp, and it has the proper codes in it. I don't see any switches for rlp that would lead me to think it doesn't pass the entire file as-is.

The fact that the final printout shows the codes too - the [] above is the required escape character - tells me that Windows isn't stripping them either; it just seems the printer is ignoring them.

It does -not- ignore them when FacetWin, a Samba-like SMB thing, sends the file. So I'm stumped.

Fred
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Well, this got resolved but not in the way expected; I won't be using Samba -or- rlp for the printing after all.

It turns out, Facetwin does allow printing to shares from Win2003 servers. Just a configuration issue. Given that Facetwin is up and running already I'll run with it.

Thanks for your assistance. Learned a lot about rlp and Windows2003 unix print services in the process...

Fred