New Discussion юеВ

samba

SOLVED
Go to solution
srinivasa rao vaddadi
Frequent Advisor

samba

Hello All,

Thanku all for your kind support for yesterday telnet and swap problem. now it is working fine.

today i have configured samba, and every thing is fine.
but i want access sam shared from my desktop.
so i'm typing at Run prompt \\172.x.x.x\xBus.
but is is displaying network path is not found.so do i need to open any port. if so which port has to be open.

5 REPLIES 5
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Re: samba

Is smb.conf file having related informations for xBUS. Is samba and nmb related process running?

# ps -ef | grep nmb
# ps -ef | grep smb

hth.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Can you ping/telnet/ssh from windows box to hp-ux server??

Do you have such share on hp-ux??
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

what does following command return??

smbclient \\127.0.0.1 -L

Does it the share that you are trying to access??
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
srinivasa rao vaddadi
Frequent Advisor

actually we have an ITL server( integration layer). so that holds all the shared data
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor
Solution

"network path not found" means one of three things:
1) "i can't find the server" check routing, ping host, verify connectivity. check DNS and netbios resolution if you're using a host name. also 9x and NT4 clients can't mount ip addresses directly, they MUST use netbios names.
2) "it won't talk to me" check firewall or port filtering to make certain the communication channel is open, then check and make certain the smbd and nmbd processes are running.
3) "the share doesn't exist" check the configuration files and make certain that share is enabled. make certain they're pointing to the correct config file, and send sighup to force a reread. Try the smbclient command from above.

keep us posted
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.