108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: scp fails with "protocol error: size not delimited" error message

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Kunkel
Frequent Advisor

scp fails with "protocol error: size not delimited" error message

When scp'ing a file from a HPUX 11.23 server to a new 11.31 i2 blade, i get the error message "protocol error: size not delimited".

oraupg@pmisdbsh01:/tst/oraupg/FINU> scp oraupg@spruce:/tst/oraupg/FINU/\* .
Password:
APPS_TS_ARCHIVE01.dbf 100% 1115MB 11.9MB/s 17.8MB/s 01:34
protocol error: size not delimited
oraupg@pmisdbsh01:/tst/oraupg/FINU>

Googling has not revealed a whole lot other than an old post (2006 vintage) which would indicate a potentially broken SSH client stack (see https://bugzilla.mindrot.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1173). Possible proof of this is the fact that the same copy, in the reverse direction, is working.

I have updated the server's OS with the ITRC and it shows no outstanding patches.

So, while I have a workaround, I just wanted to see if any of you have found this, and perhaps a solution?

If not, time to open a ticket with the support center.

4 REPLIES 4
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

why is the "*" being escaped ?
nijokj
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Tom Kunkel ,

1. your destination file system should be created as largefiles enabled.

2.check your openssh versions some versions doesn't support largefiles.upgrade it to latest version supported.

regards
nijokj
Tom Kunkel
Frequent Advisor

Thanks nijokj for the hint

Turns out that I can happily scp large files from anywhere else apart from the server that I really need to. 11.23 openssh problem perhaps.

Well, since that server is being obsoleted, the DBA can push files off instead of pulling from. That works just file.

Oh, and the "*" is escaped to prevent the local shell from interpreting the metacharacter and expanding it.

Thanks all.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the "*" is escaped to prevent the local shell from interpreting the metacharacter and expanding it.

This typically can't happen since this isn't a typical valid local directory path:
oraupg@spruce:/tst/oraupg/FINU/\*

But better safe than sorry. :-)