Operating System - HP-UX
1748246 Members
3495 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: seeking for the strategy to migrate the enterprise backup to a new backup software

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

seeking for the strategy to migrate the enterprise backup to a new backup software

We are goiing to give up SynSort backup software, and instead to use Commvault software. What strategy or considerations we need to think of to do the job?

For instance, after we implemented Commvault what if we need to restore files that were backed up by SyncSort? does that mean we will have to keep a SyncSort backup server running?

Any other considerations?

none
3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: seeking for the strategy to migrate the enterprise backup to a new backup software

Restoration of data is probably the biggest concern when migrating  from one backup software to another.

Things to consider:

1) How long will you need to keep the Syncsort server for restoration?  If you are in the USA and it has accounting data or IRS data that could be up to 7 years.  Will that server and OS be supported that long?

2) How is the data stored?  Is it on disk?  If so, will you keep that disk array for the amount of time specified in #1 above?  Is the data on tape?  What kind?  How old is your tape drive / library?  Will you keep it around for the amount of time above?

3) What about the Syncsort software itself?  Will you continue to pay support in case you need help doing a restore?

4) What about DR plans?  Don't forget to migrate all of them to use Comm Vault to restore your data.  Also keep in mind that you may still need to recover the Syncsort backup server in a disaster.  What if you need something from 5 years ago for an audit during a disaster.

I'll post more if I think of anything else.

f. halili
Trusted Contributor

Can the SynSort backup software database be migrated to Commvault software? I would think very likely not.

I would check with the  Commvault  vendor if they can restore a tape from a SynSort backup. If they can then no need to keep the older software & you are golden.

Here's how I would do if both are very much different.

(1) Move development  machines from SynSort to CommVault.

(2) After a while move the production to CommVault.

(3) If there are older data that may have to be restored in the future, back them up in CommVault and keep a no  expire retention.

(4) Let management know that previous tapes using older application will be kept from sometime and the old backup software will be retired after few months or in a year.  ( You do not want to support old backup software. With compatibilty issues and such you'll just add more headache ).

Cheers,

f. halili

derekh
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

We do have applications that require to keep 7 years. Does than mean we will have to maintain and keep both new and old software environment, including software, disk arry and tape library for as long as 7 years?

Based on our current retention policy, if we don't want to backup data by using the old software, after several months, all data will be expired except monthly bakckups which have been stored off-site, and will be expired in years based on SLA. So, if we keep the old backup system, but wiout continue to backup data and then no need to pay the support, then we only can restore data at the point of when we make the monthly backup.

If we want to restore all data at any point, then we will have to keep the old backup software and it's support for as long as 7 years.

Am I right?

none