1752767 Members
5310 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

sending break and reboot

brian_31
Super Advisor

sending break and reboot

One of my server always takes long time to go down and come up. Evidently there is endless dots for each script in rc. But when i sent a break at the console while the system was going down the system went down quickly. the startup was again slow, but i want to know the connection between the "break" and the system going down faster so that i could find the problem.

Thanks

Brian
4 REPLIES 4
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Re: sending break and reboot

I guess the break just by pass all the shut down processes and shutdown the system immediately. That is why the shutting down is faster. I this case, if a database running in the system, it might be corrupted.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

The only thing I can imagine is that you managed to interrupt the rc process that sequences all the shutdown scripts, thus aborting all of them.

What I generally do, rather than wait, is to manually do my database shutdown with "/sbin/init.d/DB stop", then do the same for any other critical processes, and finally do a "reboot -rq" (or -hq).

Pete

Pete
brian_31
Super Advisor

reboot -rq may bring it down faster but when it starts up i dont think it would speed things up

Thanks

Brian
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"... reboot -rq may bring it down faster ..."

This is totally normal, because you bypass the shutdown scripts.

For startup - inspect the rc.log.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!