108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: sending mail

madhudeepan
Frequent Advisor

sending mail

i need to configure such that if server is down it need to send a mail ,,

for sending mails ,, how can i do it.

i need to know about, how to configure sending mails from server to sample mail id abc@fxx.com
7 REPLIES 7
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Hi Madhudeepan,

Are you talking about remote monitoring systems like ISEE/RSP? They are freebies and can send alert you by mail when any issues happens. Even they eill log cases with HP automatically.

The ISEE/RSP server can monitor different kinds of HP products varying from servers to storage.

You can get in touch with HP local team to get them installed. They are absolutely free if you have a valid contract with HP
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

"... if server is down it need to send a mail ..."

First, if a server is down it's not going to send email or communicate with anyone. If it panics and reboots then you can use the who -b command in a script to send and email out, but it will be cron dependent and later than immediate. If it is set in cron to run at midnight then at midnight is when the email will be sent.

You can probably fit this same execution into /etc/inittab, which is run at boot up, or figure out a way to send emails at every boot up might be easier.

However, this is not an old problem, and the solution most people in the world have gone to is to use HP Openview, Nagios or some other monitoring server in the data center that checks ever node in the network, and then sends out emails alerts if one does not respond.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

madhudeepan,

- If the server is going to be down ,how it is going to send you an email alert!!.
- However you can accomplish this task if you do have some arrangement in another server (say ServerB) to monitor this server.
- On the other server setup sendmail , configure sendmail use mail server address in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf in DS field.
- Make sure mails are going.
- Write a script on ServerB to monitor the ip of the main server , and if down send an email.

You can use ping syntax in a script like this:

ping -n 2

- A sample script attached ,that can monitor hp-ux server from aix node , can be run in cron , ( ping syntax may be change to use per ping switch for number of ping )

Hth,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

mdhudeepan,
See some scripts here:
-I dont remember this thread link :
: It is From: Author: Randy Michael. [ pingnodes.ksh ]

- Also see this link:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?&threadId=145518

Hth.
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

madhudeepan (again)
Apart from the quick ping check, you can alaways configure and use tools like:
- Openview VPO Alerts will be sent,
- HP ISEE.
- HP RSP.
http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/w1/en/always-on/online-isee-migration.html

Hth.

One more note: (Your profile says)
I have assigned points to 12 of 263 responses to my questions.

Apprciate if you could assgn points to all the resonses, and appreciate their effors by assining points:

Click here:
To assign points to all your threads and try to make it 263 or 263.
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/publicProfile.do?userId=WW262215&forumId=1

madhudeepan
Frequent Advisor

we have OVO as RAJ said, used for monitoring but i need to have the procedures for configuring mail ..

i need the steps for how to send the mail and which other files I need to configure
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

OK, I'll assume you mean you just want to know how to configure sendmail and send a test email.

cp /etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/mail/sendmail_old.cf
grep DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
keep list of 3 or so results
vi /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
Find DS entry and add mailserver from your network
DSmailserver

/sbin/init.d/sendmail stop / start

echo "test" | mailx -s "TEST" your.email

If you can email from another server already then compare that sendmail.cf file first.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law