1752307 Members
5176 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: serve sizing

Pradep
Regular Advisor

serve sizing

I have mcsg running on 2 nodes. 1 node runs application and other runs database. Both nodes are equally sized and can run aplication or database individually. it has been 3 years over without having parallel run of app and db on single node online with users connected.

i want to prepare for running them on single node as failover simulation.
can you please tell me what factors i need to look into performance wise to estimate if they can run together on single server.
like cpu/mem/swap utilization? run_queue_length? Any other factors i need to sum up for 2 nodes to get cumulative figure ?

Eg:-if both server have 4 cores each. and each of them 30% utilizaed..so when run parallel it might be 60% utilized on average. same for memory/swap. Is it a good way to get rough estimates ?

Please let me know what else i need to check for performance capacity check.

thanks.
17 REPLIES 17
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi Pradeep,

mcsg -> main concept not for load balancing its kind cluster setup to failover the nodes and applicatio to adoptive if in case of any "SOP"

Single point failure - like

patching,HW replacement, planned manintance
application failover testing. etc.

If both node are setup in same capacity or strong enough to handle each other d'not see much performance thing here.

as mentioned above post of your "Node 1 -> serves -> application and the other Node 2 runs as database. both have different purpose

Hope this Helps.

Regards,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Pradep
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply. lets see from another scenario. suppose i have 2 servers and want to consolidate into 1. what factors i need to look into.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>>Thanks for the reply. lets see from another scenario. suppose i have 2 servers and want to consolidate into 1. what factors i need to look into. <<<<

Are you looking for load balancing some thing like that ?

>>suppose i have 2 servers and want to consolidate into 1<<

Consolidate into 1>> in what ways ?

Pradep
Regular Advisor

I want to decommission 2 physical servers and moved ther app/database to another new 1 physical server. No load balancing, only 1 server.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

I want to decommission 2 physical servers and moved ther app/database to another new 1 physical server. No load balancing, only 1 server.

>>New Server<< Do you have new server already installed ? are you planning to buy ?
Pradep
Regular Advisor

not buy yet.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

check with "HP Singapore Sales Support Team"

let them know what "Application" Database" you are using on "old 2 decommission" servers.

They can do technical review of your "Set-up" advice accordingly

Pradep
Regular Advisor

why only HP can do sizing ? even when i have running example of servers ?
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

why only HP can do sizing ? >>>>

than what's value for people who do "System Architect" -> Just thought,

?>even when i have running example of servers?<< ?

how about any New feature, will much benfiet or boost your system performance of the Servers /applications/ Database.