3803 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: serve sizing

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

This is going to be a consumed resources issue. Run this command on both boxes to isolate your biggest cpu and virtual memory consumers:

UNIX96=1 ps -e -o vsz,pid,ppid,state,args | sort -rn | head -16

UNIX96=1 ps -e -o pcpu,pid,ppid,state,args | sort -rn | head -16

Combine the top resource consumers. Use your own judgment about how many to add together since each box will be different. If the top 20 are all grouped together then take the top 20.

Run this command on both to isolate your shared memory consumption:

ipcs -moba

Add up the SEGSZ column. Combine the total from both nodes.

Get your physical constraints: # of cpus. SGA. Physical memory.

Disk I/O use sar -d 5 5 and look at the %busy, avwait and avserv columns, avque, rw/sec, queue length. Question: Are any of the disks shared between both applications on both nodes? I would think not since one is an application server and other a database server. The database is probably hit its own disks, as is the application. If mutually exclusive then I would surmise that a disk I/O problem is unlikely. However, if you are combining disks, then you can add the rw/sec, queue length and $busy columns.

Approach this like any other performance trouble shooting problem, and determine how to combine the results for a projection.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

When finished, please remember to assign 0 to 10 points to all responses and also close the thread. Sometimes, when a thread is left open, years from now its responded too and gets several annoying comments from people. Thanks in advance!
Pradep
Regular Advisor

Hi Michael,
i get this error

$ ps -e -o vsz,pid,ppid,state,args | sort -rn | head -16
ps: illegal option -- o
usage: ps [-edaxzflP] [-u ulist] [-g glist] [-p plist] [-t tlist] [-R prmgroup] [-Z psetidlist]
$ UNIX96=1 ps -e -o vsz,pid,ppid,state,args | sort -rn | head -16
ps: illegal option -- o
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Sorry, my bad.

UNIX95=1 ps -ef -o
Pradep
Regular Advisor

Hi Michael,
I already have OV perf mgr installation. and i used GBL_CPU, GBL_MEM, GBL_SWAP, RUN_QUEUE_LENGTH for sum up. Can you pls tell me which other params of Perf mgr i need to addup..because it is easy to get historic data from it..like 1 yr old.

For virtual memory Swapinfo output is ok ?
# swapinfo
Kb Kb Kb PCT START/ Kb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
memory 5953088 1110452 4842636 19%

How do the relate adding SEGSZ value to kernel param SHm_segsz..are they is same format..like adding all SEGSZ together should be less that kernel value ?
. Combine the total from both nodes.

Get your physical constraints: # of cpus. SGA. Physical memory.
>> what is SGA ?

Disks are seperate in app and DB servers. so should not be a problem. Can i use any OV Perf param for checking disk util ?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

The SGA is Oracles reserved database memory. It should be as much as 90% of your physical memory.

You add the shared memory up on both nodes and sum them together. Shared memory is another constraint.

If you have a year of historical data then you're in good shape, but you'll have to get the MeasureWare dictionary out to id what your metrics are. I don't know them.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>For virtual memory swapinfo output is ok?
# swapinfo

Please provide the "swapinfo -tam" output.
Pradep
Regular Advisor

thanks for giving the approach for solution.