1752587 Members
4782 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: setting acl on AD users

Maaz
Valued Contributor

setting acl on AD users

I have a samba server(as a MS Windows AD member server).
can I grant/set permissions on users/group of AD on shared folders stored on samba server.

in other words, on a samba server that has joined AD domain, I want to assign permissions on users of AD on directories on samba server.

Regards
Maaz
8 REPLIES 8
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Yes you can.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Hi Court Campbell
>Yes you can.
:), thanks but if you can also please guide how to do this ?
any url/doc/tutorial ?

Regards
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

To be able to set permissions to files and folders, you must map the UID/GID to Windows SIDS. For this job, probably, winbind is the way to go.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Well, I assume that you are using winbind. If so and all is working, you just use the chown or chgrp commands. I just assume you are already familiar with those commands.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Hi Ivan Ferreira and Court Campbell, thanks for help.
I dont know about winbind, because this SAMBA server is SLES 10, SLES 10 can join AD Domain, using 3 or 4 mouse clicks, very smoothly and without any issue.

Anyhow I'll check it

Thanks
Gokul Chandola
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
You can do this.
You have to define AD users in Samba Server for desired directories also.

Regards,
Gokul Chandola
There is always some scope for improvment.
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Hi thanks Gokul Chandola
>You have to define AD users in Samba Server for desired directories also.

say I have a user maaz in MS AD Domain, then what to do in smb.conf ? please share.

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[data]
path = /data
read only = No

I want to set permission for maaz(domain user), and to all those users that are member of "grad1" group of MS AD domain on /data directroy

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

It depends of the "security = " samba setting. Check the Samba 3 Howto for detailed information about this setting or smb.conf.

Then you will have:

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[data]
path = /data
read only = No
valid users = maaz @grad1

Considering that grad1 is a Unix/LDAP group.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?