New Discussion юеВ

Re: sftp from windows system to unix server

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.S.
Super Advisor

sftp from windows system to unix server

Hi,
How can we establish the connection with sftp.
How it works and what is the command to establish a connection from windows system to the unix server?

Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor
Solution

For sftp you need a client on your Windows station.

One of such client is Winscp (www.winscp.net)
It is free.

On the Unix side should be ok the default setup (just be sure that sshd is working/installed on your server)

sftp it is practical an FTP session with encryption added. (like this passwords/files are not sent over the connection as clear text - unencrypted)

Best regards,
Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
S.S.
Super Advisor

Thank you Horia.

I have downloaded the winscp and i have made test also and it is working fine.
As this client is not licenced one right if we do this as a regular practice, will it cause any licencing issues? or you will suggest me to get a licenced software?

Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>>As this client is not licenced one right if we do this as a regular practice, will it cause any licencing issues?<<<<

Its a free-ware..(as long as its been used to transfers file between (windows & HPUX) i mean you manually select files & upload (should be any problem).

if you are going make some (ftp batch jobs) reguarly.. (than it comes audit issue) if your auditors realy cares about it. otherwise no harm done.

>> or you will suggest me to get a licenced software?<<<

Its Depends on mode of use for (sftp batch jobs).. you can look for (Lincensed SW like connect-Direct..etc..)

Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
S.S.
Super Advisor

Thank you Johnson. :-)
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>As this client is not licenced one right if we do this as a regular practice

Just one general thought about this: A licensed software must be used according to the provider's instructions. If the license does not allow utilization of the software but only after some kind of fee that should be payed by the end user (or whatever other conditions are required), then it does not matter (from the legal point of view) if that software it is used on regular basis or not (used occasionally).

On the other hand, free software and open source software does not automatically implies low quality software/software that will be the "weak links in the chain".

Horia.
Horia.
S.S.
Super Advisor

For ftp we use the .netrc file for the auto login which doesn't prompt the password like that do we have any file for sftp?
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

sftp is part of ssh.

Please read the following thread about generating and sharing keys in order to permit a passwordless connection between 2 HP-UX servers

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1417202

With Winscp, you can save the user/password together with the connection. Still, it is not a good idea to let you passwords on some Windows.

Horia.
Horia.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

> between 2 HP-UX servers

Well, this apply to any *nix that will run the ssh package (not only HP-UX).

Horia.
Horia.
S.S.
Super Advisor

thank you Horia.

Tomorrow i will do test this and will update you the status.