3153 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: shared filesystem issue

itrc55
Regular Advisor

shared filesystem issue

Hi,

i shared filesystem from ux server 1 to ux server 2, i want to change the ownership of the shared filesystem on server 2. my questions is there any effect on the source (server 1). or i need to change it from a source (server 1).

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
itrc55
Regular Advisor

Hi,

and i facing a problem when i trying to remove some file from shared filesystem on server 2 "access denied"
How to resolve this problem ?

Thanks

Hi,

my questions is there any effect on the source (server 1). or i need to change it from a source (server 1).

You need to change the ownership from the ServerA.

Are you using nfs?? Basically to write on the NFS share you need to have read,write and execute permission set for others.

Run the following command on the server A.

#chmod 777 /nfs(mount point)

Hopefully it should solve your issue.

Please let me know the outcome!!
itrc55
Regular Advisor

Hi,

can you tell me why i need to change the ownership from the ServerA only? amd from systemB is not enough.
and how i can to share filesystem on two system with r+w in the same time.

Thanks
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> i shared [...]

Not much useful information there.

uname -a

NFS? If so, then: Exported how? Mounted
how? NFS is designed to allow some
operations by a remote user, but not
necessarily all operations.

On what, exactly, are you trying to change
the ownership?

As usual, showing actual commands with their
actual output can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] ux server 1 to ux server 2 [...]

> [...] ServerA [...] systemB [...]

Sometimes, using the actual system names can
be less confusing than using multiple
invented names. Hiding valuable secrets may
be important. Hiding non-valuable
non-secrets may be merely confusing.

Hi

Basically NFS dir which is orginally created in server A and exported to server B.and now all users including root accessing from server B is consider as others for server A so that's the reason we need to setup read,write and execute permissions if want to write and remove.

Let me know if you still have questions
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I want to change the ownership of the shared filesystem on server 2. is there any effect on the source (server 1)? or do I need to change it from a source?

(Filesystems don't have owners, only directories and files do.)
It would be easier (and faster) to change the ownership on the NFS server. Also, some NFS servers won't let you change the ownership unless you are root. And then if you need to be root on a client, you have to export the filesystem so root is root.

>I'm trying to remove some file from shared filesystem on server 2 "access denied"

Which user are you there? What are the permissions of the directory that contains the file? If you have exported the filesystem with the default root is less than dirt, it can't do anything unless Other is permitted.