108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: single interrupt for upgrades.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

single interrupt for upgrades.

I need to upgrade JRE, so need apply patches need reboot after applied. And at the same time, I need to extent /opt file system due to new software to be applied is bigger. So I have to interrupt system applications two times due to disk extension needs work in single-mode. I am looking for a solution in single interrupt the server (because there are 8 servers to be upgraded); a solution like this , after applied patches go into single user-mode OR run level 1 (it is enogh for me to extendfs ) instead of reboot ?? Any advise ?
12 REPLIES 12
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

You apparently don't have OnlineJFS. That's a real deficiency in my opinion.

That said, yes, you need to unmount '/opt' to extend it. The easiest way to achieve this is to *boot into* single user mode; extend the filesystem and then bring the system to run-level-3.

The SD tools ('swinstall', etc.) are dependent upon networking which you don't have in single user mode.

However, you could declare a downtime of appropriate length; boot into single-user mode; extend your filesystem; use 'init' to move to run-level-3; perform your 'swinstall' and then after its required reboot, resume normal operations.

Regards!

...JRF...
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

which HPUX version, /opt can be increase online if you have OJFS it can be done without reboot.

Else you have to have 2 reboots, the time saving idea by JRF is pretty cool, instead of reboots just switch the run level which is much faster:)

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Prabhat_1
Occasional Advisor

Dear Aydin,

You may try the following.

You might be running your system on runlevel 3 or more.

Bring the system into single user mode
# init s or S
activate vg00 if not activated by
vgchange -a y vg00
Extend /opt
# lvextend ....
# extendfs ....
then bring your system into runlevel 2
# init 2
preview your patches
# swinstall -p -x (if you want to use some options) -s (source of the patches) and patch selection
Install the patches
# swinstall ....
if you want to reboot after patching you can use -x autoreboot=true option.

By this way you only need to interrupt your system only once.

Hope it helps, and if so, please rate the solution.

Thanks and Regards,
Prabhat
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>So I have to interrupt system applications two times due to disk extension needs work in single-mode.

You simply don't start your applications until you are done with all of your changes.
You don't mention what HP-UX version and whether you can use DRD.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

>Dennis:You don't mention what HP-UX version and whether you can use DRD.

HP-UX 11i v1 and we do not have DRD, we do not have Online JFS.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

>Prabhat: # swinstall -p -x (if you want to use some options) -s (source of the patches) and patch selection

is it possible postpone reboot system if a patch needed reboot after installation ?

like this:

swinstall -p -x auto_reboot=false ???

Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>>is it possible postpone reboot system if a patch needed reboot after installation ?<<<<

Yes,

Example :-

swinstall -x autoreboot=false -x patch_match_target=true \ -s /tmp/PHSS_39876.depot
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Johnson: swinstall -x autoreboot=false

That's not what the documentation says. It says it will not install if it needs to reboot:
Prevents the installation of software requiring a reboot
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

>Dennis:Prevents the installation of software requiring a reboot

So , there is no way to install patch and deferred reboot ? once patch that required reboot is installed server must be rebooted , OK ?