New Discussion

Re: software assistant hpux 11iv3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

software assistant hpux 11iv3

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advice Im trying to find out what are the security patches needed for hp ux 11iv3 dcoe and vsoe with software assistant, somehow or rather when i run command below , it give error below

swa report -x crl_check=false

=======  12/11/17 14:15:24 SST  BEGIN Report on Issues and New Software (user=root)  (jobid=vsoe13)

* Gathering Inventory
       * Using existing inventory for host "vsoe13"
         Enter your HP user ID: 
         Enter your HP Password:
ERROR:   Failed to access authorization service.

Kindly advice what is the HP user ID and HP Password, and can this be done offline or I need internet access.

Regards

Vincent

nothing is better than to know more
3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can check the logfile:

# tail -50 /var/opt/swa/swa.log

Did you edit the $HOME/.swa/swa.conf file for your HPE Passport login and password? 

hp_id = myPassportID
hp_pw = PassportLoginPW

Patches for HP-UX require an HPE Passport ID that is linked to your HPE software support contract. 

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Vincent_5
Super Advisor

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply, by the way I have a support account which I can log-in to download patches , but where can I find the necessary security patches for hp ux 11iv3 . Can you guide me ?? Meanwhile I will try the solution , you give . Thanks

Regards

Vincent

nothing is better than to know more
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Here is a minimum swa.conf file:

analyzers = CRIT PCW SEC
hp_id = myHPElogin
hp_pw = myHPEpassword

There is a global location for this file: /etc/opt/swa/swa.conf
If you have the file $HOME/.swa/swa.conf, this local file takes precedence over the one in /etc/opt/swa.

There isn't a single bundle of security patches. That's why you must use swa to analyze what you have on your system. swa will handle dependencies between patches and system components.

However, there is a fair amount of hand work to resolve the reports provided by swa. A single system without any new patches for 2 years may require a couple of days of work to complete.

I've used swa on more than a dozen systems and concluded that using the complete patch bundles (QPK, HWE and FEATURE) is much simpler. Or you can have HPE run a patch assesment for your system and provide a custom bundle that matches your setup. You'll see the patch assesment option on the main Patch Management page. These bundles contain security patches but also stability and OS fixes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin