108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: software updates

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

software updates

I wanted to see if I could update my glanceplus software for my k200 (10.20). I found
downloadable tar files on HP's upgrade center for glance and measureware and
downloaded and un-tarred them. The extracted files are just normal files, but there
are no instructions. Should I just move files to their intended directories replacing
the old versions? Any suggestions?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

You should be able to swinstall straight from the tar file

swinstall -s /tmp/tarfilename

nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

If your software is currently under support, you should be able to go to HP's Software Update Manager and download the software bundle that should then be installed with swinstall. If the bundle is in tar format, you probably do NOT need to untar it first.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Dave:

Since you have previously install Glance (and/or MeasureWare), you should stop them before your reinstallation.

As root, do the following:

1. /opt/perf/bin/mwa stop
2. /opt/perf/bin/midaemon -T
3. /opt/perf/bin/ttd -k
4. /opt/perf/bin/perstat

Step 4's output will show you that all daemons have been stopped. When true, proceed to reinstall Glance/MeasureWare with swinstall specifying reinstall=true.

To startup MeasureWare after the installation, do:

/opt/perf/bin/mwa start

...JRF...
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

All of the above is true regarding performing an swinstall directly on the tar file and shutting down Measureware before you do it.

Additionally, the version that you downloaded is probably the trial version. Don't worry about this where the current license you have installed will be recognized by the new software and will operate just fine. The only thing you will notice is that swlist will display a little strange where both the main version and the version with the '-TRY' extension will show up.
Jim Welch
Respected Contributor

The software update manager depot is a licensed version, so you don't have to worry about it being a trial version.

Make sure that if you update glanceplus, you also update measureware. If you are installing the glanceplus pak, it already has both glanceplus and measureware in it.
The current version of both GlancePlus and MeasureWare on hpux is C.02.40

NOTE: the pak also has an ITO-SE agent. If you already have an ito agent running on the box, deselect the ito-se agent filesets prior to installing the pak.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic - Arthur C. Clarke
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Once I got swinstall to work correctly, the TAR files installed just fine. Thanks!