New Discussion юеВ

Re: special character @ not working in password

SOLVED
Go to solution
prasadb
Super Advisor

special character @ not working in password

Dear HP Gurus,

i am using special character ( @ ) in my password, it works fine in almost all servers except few HP-UX machines :(

well, i found couple of threads dicussing same issue..and learned that they have special meaning for some character like @. so when i entre @, it simply comes to second line..but my point is if its working on most of the servers, only some servers are denying this charater.

is there any file where these setting are saved ? changing password is yet another option, but it will take much time as we have many servers in setup. is there any other way that someone of you might be knowing..

thank you in advance for your suggestions/comments

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1249373891434+28353475&threadId=419866

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1037324

with regards,
prasad
7 REPLIES 7
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi

Are you using tcb?

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Please see:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5992-4607/ch02s03.html

The document is for 11.31, but the procedure works with older HP-UX versions too.

MK
MK
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>changing password is yet another option

Besides what MK said, you can just use "\" to quote the "@".
Jitesh purohit_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Prasad ,

What's the Version of HPUX ?

Thanks
Jitesh
prasadb
Super Advisor

Hello all,

suraj >>> Are you using tcb?
Nope

Dennis >> Besides what MK said, you can just use "\" to quote the "@".

its not working, when i did the same, it simply comes to next line

Jitesh >> What's the Version of HPUX ?

B.11.11

MK >> well, i am using "@" character when i log in to root from my normal a/c
and the commands like "stty -a < /dev/ttyconf" are not running from the normal user, however i will try to get it done by someone using root access..

i am curious to know whether this is a version specific issue, as some of the version 1 servers are accepting this character without any problem

thank you all for their valuable time and support

br,
prasad
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

> i am curious to know whether this is a version specific issue, as some of the version 1 servers are accepting this character without any problem

This is a very old unix feature, originally intended for ancient Teletype terminals with a printer instead of a display. Most other unix-like OSs have obsoleted this feature long ago, but in HP-UX it still exists.

There are many ways to solve this issue, but I think the way suggested in the link I posted above is best, because it is a single modification that works for all users and all shells. Even when logging on as root from the system console, the "@" character will need no special attention with this modification.

If you have the special character in root password only, and only use su for root access, then this problem can be (mostly) fixed without using /dev/ttyconf by adding the necessary stty command in your personal login script, or even the system-wide login scripts for all shells. Maybe someone has already fixed it for some of your servers?

If the problem is fixed in /etc/profile and/or /etc/csh.login, if you ever need to login as a root directly to the system console (e.g. in an emergency situation), you will have to remember to enter the "@" character in a special way, as Dennis said in his answer.

MK
MK
kevin_m
Valued Contributor

I had the same issue logging into a console with a special character but not when using SSH remotely. Entering the escape character \ before the @ symbol definitely fixed it. For example, p\@ssword. I assume that's how you tried using the character but wanted to mention it in case.
- Kevin