1753783 Members
7119 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ssh server can't forward X11 on HP-UX 11.3

rnau

ssh server can't forward X11 on HP-UX 11.3

Hello,

We have a problem on our HP-UX system. Usually this is not a big deal, but somebody for installing patches and upgrading specific apps we need to open X session on the server.

Currently ssh doesn't have DISPLAY set when you connect to the server. The only way to forward session is to set DISPLAY to an external IP and use custom windows-based X-server (like exceed). The problem is that the traffic not forwarded over ssh tunnel, so any native X desktop doesn't in this case.

Please let me know if any technical information is requeired about the system itself.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

example connection..

configure PuTTy with X11 forwarding.

start X-Window server on PC

shh to server

xclock to test..

merieux
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

my tips , for test x ssh conncetion i like use xterm , it send some intersing error message

Bye
rnau

I use Linux desktop (or mac) - and the problem is that forwarding doesn't work in this case.

xterm fails as well as xclock.

I noticed that DISPAY variable is empty on logon - should be if forwarding and sshd server working properly.
merieux
Frequent Advisor

Which command do you use for acces to your hp-ux system ?
rnau

A common one: ssh -X user@server

Then this is what I get:
A common one: ssh -X user@server

Then this is what I get:

[root@servername] # xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
[root@servername] # xclock
Error: Can't open display:
Error: Couldn't find per display information
[root@servername] # export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
[root@servername] # xclock
Error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0
Error: Couldn't find per display information

Same happens if I export display to my IP address. Again, I'm using native Linux desktop which works fine with any other X forwarding ssh.

sshd config has forwarding enabled.

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes

If I export display to IP with exceed X display running, then it forwards the session.
merieux
Frequent Advisor

you say :
sshd config has forwarding enabled.

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes

but your client have to have also X11Forwarding set to yes . see ~/.ssh/ssh_config .
Do you have also also authorized your remote system to use you X server ? Wat is the result of xhost ?

rnau

myusername@myusername-desktop:~$ xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
SI:localuser:myusername
SI:localuser:gdm
SI:localuser:root

Anyway, even if my local desktop has issues (I'm sure it doesn't because I can connect to any other host and have X forwarded without any display exports) - I wonder why HP-UX doesn't have display env setup from the beginning?

merieux
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

Is your remote systen in the list of authorized sytem to uses you X server ?
If not try xhost server

Is it possible to launch you sshd daemon in debug mode and see if you can obtain more usefull information ?
-D When this option is specified, sshd will not detach and does not become a daemon. This allows easy moni├в
toring of sshd.

-d Debug mode. The server sends verbose debug output to the system log, and does not put itself in the back├в
ground. The server also will not fork and will only process one connection. This option is only intended
for debugging for the server. Multiple -d options increase the debugging level. Maximum is 3.

Hope that could help you