New Discussion юеВ

startup scripts

SOLVED
Go to solution
himacs
Super Advisor

startup scripts

Hi Admins,

I was trying to get knowledge on system startup scripts and obviously i met many scripts like /sbin/rc , /etc/rc.config.d, /sbin/init.d /etc/rc.config.

Now i am stuck up with /sbin/rc.

As per my understanding, /etc/rc.config supplies the configuration info found in /etc/rc.config.d to /sbin/init.d to start/stop the applications.

When system starts up(post kernel loading) what is the role of /sbin/rc or what actually happening in server.

Regards
himacs
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: startup scripts

Hi:

The '/sbin/rc' script is the master sequencer script for invoking the startup or shutdown sequence of '/sbin/rc.?/*'
scripts for a given run-level transition. '/sbin/rc' is invoked by the 'initd' daemon when a run-level changes. See the manpages for 'rc(1M)' for more detailed information.

Regards!

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Himacs:

A whitepaper, with diagrams; still perfectly valid since the days of 10.0, is:

http://docs.hp.com/en/934/startup.pdf

This 10.x whitepaper still applies today when you add the documentation for the return code of >= 4 found in the 'rc(1M)' manpages I mentioned.

Regards!

...JRF...
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

/sbin/rc calls a series of startup and shutdown scripts in the /sbin/rc.0 through /sbin/rc.6 directories to start system services such as cron, syncer, lp, and all the others that appear in the checklist that scrolls across your screen during the system shutdown and boot.