System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

su: [command]: Execute permission denied.

Matt Hearn
Regular Advisor

su: [command]: Execute permission denied.

I'm running across a weird permissions situation. If I become root, and then su - to a user, and then try to run a command called "tols" that's owned by that user, I get this:

$ ./tols
su: ./tols: Execute permission denied.

Here's the file info:
$ ls -l tols
-rwxrwxrwx 1 usera usera 9926 Feb 27 04:42 tols

$ what tols
tols:
$Revision: 92453-07 linker linker crt0.o B.11.30 010914 $

The file may have been copied from a PA-RISC server to the Itanium blade we're working on, so I'm suspecting we have to get an Itanium version (or recompile). It's a weird message, though; I would have thought I'd be getting linker or library errors, not a permissions failure from su.

Any ideas? Thanks!
3 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: su: [command]: Execute permission denied.

What does "file tols" say?

How about "ldd tols"?

Is the result different if you run "ldd tols" as root? In that case, one of the libraries required to run "tols" might not be accessible when you're running as a non-root user. Check the permissions of the listed libraries.

MK
MK
Jan Pukanec
Occasional Visitor

Try to chmod the file to 755 instead of 777. There could be a security feature which prevents running world-writable binaries.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>MK: What does "file tols" say?

Right, this most likely says the architecture isn't valid for Integrity. But your what strings seems to indicate PA.

Do you have all of your shlibs and paths readable and executable, including Aries?

>Jan: Try to chmod the file to 755 instead of 777. There could be a security feature which prevents running world-writable binaries.

I thought they fixed that PID thrashing issue on shlibs long ago.
But it is a good practice to not have world-writable binaries and scripts.