New Discussion юеВ

Re: sudo access

SOLVED
Go to solution
masthan_1
Advisor

sudo access

Hi,

I want to enable the local user to execute some commands with root privileges. I guess we can use visudo for this, right?.

The Os version in which I want to implement this change is 11.31. I saw this same is implemented using visudo and making some changes in file /usr/local/etc/sudoers in hpux 11.23. Do i need to install the sudo package in 11.31 or it is default?

If sudo must be there, May i ensure the installation using the command #swlist -l product | grep -i sudo* or sudo

Kindly provide the procedure and file location in 11.31 OS to implement this same.

Regards,

Masthan

5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

'sudo' is the utlity and the 'sudoers' file is it's configuration file.  The proper and safe way to edit the configuration file is with 'visudo' which is the 'vi' editor with some locking and syntax checking for the 'sudoers' configuration you are editing.

You can fetch a copy of 'sudo' from the Porting and Archive Centre:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/sudo-1.8.0/

If you use the Porting Centre's offering, be sure to install the dependencies.  This is easily done by first installing the 'depothelper' from there.

The 'sudo' utility is also available from HP in the Internet Express depot:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUXIEXP1131

Regards!

...JRF...

masthan_1
Advisor

Thank you JRF. As usual thanks for your prompt help..kudos given, pls reply if you didnt get it.

So the only dependency to install sudo is depothelper, right?. Do I need to put this sudo package under /var/spool/sw directory or I can simply mention as #swinstall -s /tmp/sudopackage.depot ?
I have downloaded the sudo pkg from the mentioned location and while i install it i got the error that "Checksum error". And while i checked the depot listing, it having only one file of same name as depot. Kindly advice.

Regards,
Masthan
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

@masthan_1 wrote:

So the only dependency to install sudo is depothelper, right?. Do I need to put this sudo package under /var/spool/sw directory or I can simply mention as #swinstall -s /tmp/sudopackage.depot ?
I have downloaded the sudo pkg from the mentioned location and while i install it i got the error that "Checksum error". And while i checked the depot listing, it having only one file of same name as depot.

The 'depothelper' is not a dependency, but 'zlib' is.  I suggested the use of the 'depothelper' because it expedites dependency collection.

You can put the package in any directory you want and 'swinstall' from there.  Installation will be into '/usr/local/<package>' using 'swinstall'.

If you got a checksum error, make sure that you transferred the file to your server in binary mode if you used FTP.   See also:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/answers/5-2.html

Yes, the name of the depot that you fetch will be '*.depot' just as any HP-supplied depot.

Regards!

..JRF...

masthan_1
Advisor

Thanks again JRF...
staarit
Established Member

I see that many posts have links...which obviously don't work 90% of the time. can you help me fing the sudo depot for download. 

thanks