108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: sudo messages to root tty

SOLVED
Go to solution
MikeL_4
Super Advisor

sudo messages to roo tty

I am running HP-UX 11.31 and using ixpress sudo to allow users to run some commands....

The issue is the many messages it puts out to the root tty throughout the day....

Is there a way to stop these messages from displaying:

Jul 16 06:47:18 tmoa1db01 sudo: mmahmoud : /var/adm owned by uid 4, should be uid 0 ; TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/t3home_dirs/users/mmahmoud ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/oracle
Jul 16 10:48:25 tmoa1db01 sudo: mmahmoud : /var/adm owned by uid 4, should be uid 0 ; TTY=pts/3 ; PWD=/t3home_dirs/users/mmahmoud ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/oracle
Jul 16 11:57:02 tmoa1db01 sudo: kvelusam : /var/adm owned by uid 4, should be uid 0 ; TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/t3home_dirs/users/kvelusam ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/oracle
Jul 16 12:50:51 tmoa1db01 sudo: mmahmoud : /var/adm owned by uid 4, should be uid 0 ; TTY=pts/2 ; PWD=/t3home_dirs/users/mmahmoud ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/oracle

The /etc/syslog.conf currently contains following, and I assume the *.alert  root, line needs to be changed somehow but not sure how...:

=> cat /etc/syslog.conf
# @(#)B.11.31_LR
#
# syslogd configuration file.
#
# See syslogd(1M) for information about the format of this file.
#
mail.debug              /var/adm/syslog/mail.log
*.info;mail.none        /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
*.alert                 /dev/console
*.alert                 root
*.emerg                 *
=>

10 REPLIES 10
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>/var/adm owned by uid 4, should be uid 0

Have you looked at who owns /var/adm/?   ll -d /var/adm/

You may want to compare against another system.  It may be that you shouldn't have the sudo logs there because sudo wants root to be the owner and swverify wants UID 4.

MikeL_4
Super Advisor

I've checked every HP-UX server we have and the /var/adm directory is owned by UID 4 and GID 4 which is 'adm' ID and Group.... So I'm resitent to just change the owner:group on /var/adm....

Don't know why sudo would be interested in this to start with, the sud log file is: /var/log/sudolog...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> I'm resistant to just change the owner:group on /var/adm.

Rightly so.

>the sudo log file is: /var/log/sudolog.

Hmm.  Them I'm not sure why it is looking at /var/adm/.

You may want to search the sudo documentation for /var/adm to see if it is mentioned.

MikeL_4
Super Advisor

The sudo command they are executing is: COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/oracle, which is nothing more than an su command for the DBA's to get to the oracle Adminitrative account:

=> cat /usr/local/bin/oracle
#!/bin/ksh
su - oracle
=>

and the sulog is in /var/adm, so maybe that could be what is causing the message ...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the sulog is in /var/adm, so maybe that could be what is causing the message ...

That's not sudolog, so I'm not sure why it is looking there.  Is it logging anything here?

Arunabha Banerjee
Valued Contributor

Login as root and execute visudo command to edit /etc/sudoers file. Don't try to open /etc/sudoers file with vi or any other editor because if you put any wrong entry or syntax is incorrect then at the time saving it will not warn you. But in case of visudo it will warn you.

So finally add the following entry at the top of  /etc/sudoers file

Defaults logfile=/var/log/sudolog

Change /var/log/sudolog file permission and ownership as follows:

# chown root:sys /var/log/sudolog

# chown 0600 /var/log/sudolog

Now onwards all sudo related logs will come under /var/log/sudolog file.

AB
MilanMazac
Occasional Visitor

I have same issue on my HP-UX servers at customer site.

I have changed loggin according last post (redirect sudo logs tu /var/log/sudolog) but the behaviour of sudo did not change.

sudo warn me not only to logfie but also on the screen when I try to execute any command under sudo

MilanMazac
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Solved:

the root cause of error reporting is that sudo on HP-UX use /var/adm directory as timestapm directory.

I have created /var/adm/sudo directory to keep general practise

# mkdir /var/adm/sudo

after that I added followed lines at the beginning of the sudoers file:

Defaults logfile=/var/adm/sudo/sudo.log
Defaults timestampdir=/var/adm/sudo

Everyting works O.K.

MikeL_4
Super Advisor

Thanks Milan, the last suggestion solved my issue also...