New Discussion юеВ

Re: swap usage in V3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Patrick

there is 8gb of primary swap in ram and 16gb of 2ndary swap on disk. You're comment is "..all swap is baloney...".

Don't you want to provide some kind of arguement that puts all the 2ndary swap into the primary swap by buying more ram.

Cuz I don't see that explanation at all.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Davis Paul
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for your quick response. My question is not yet answered.

In the swapinfo output above only 32% of physical memory is used.System is using swap even free physical memory is available. I need my system to use maximum physical memory then swap.Is it possible?.how?..

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>there is 8gb of primary swap in ram and 16gb of 2ndary swap on disk.

What?!?!?! "swap in ram"? What the heck are you talking about? There is no such thing!

The PRIMARY SWAP space (/dev/vg00/lvol2 - 8GB) is on disk. The other swap space (/dev/vg00/lvol10 and lvol11 - 24 GB total), which is what I assume you term secondary, is also on disk.

All 3 device swap areas above are also set at a priority of '1' so they will all get used equally.

If you are talking about 'pseudo swap' as swap space in RAM, then that is not swap at all. It is a calculation to make the system **think** there is more swap than there actually is.

>>In the swapinfo output above only 32% of physical memory is used.

If you are looking at the 'memory' line of swapinfo, that is incorrect. The memory line indicates how much 'pseudo swap' is used. It is not an indication of how much physical RAM is used.

>>I need my system to use maximum physical memory then swap.Is it possible?.how?..

It will do that all by itself. There is no parameter to set to tell the system to use 75% RAM before swapping or 100% RAM before swapping.

With the snapshot posted above, it is possible that RAM usage decreased so that you are not using 100% RAM, but until the pages that have been swapped out to disk are requested again, they will remain on disk.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

dev 8192 2634 5558 32% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2

So this isn't swap. Right. That's your explanation, right? lvol2 is not swap? Right?

God has HP support gone downhill. What a joke.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>dev 8192 2634 5558 32% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2

>>So this isn't swap. Right. That's your >>explanation, right? lvol2 is not swap? Right?

NO, that is NOT my explanation. If you go back and READ what I wrote, you will see that.

LVOL2 is definitely swap. BUT it is DEVICE swap. It is on DISK. It is NOT in RAM.

I am still VERY CONFUSED by your "swap in RAM" statement. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

>>God has HP support gone downhill. What a joke.

You think I work for HP? You are mistaken!
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

My personal opinion --- Baloney!

It does not matter HOW you lay out swap.

Did you say all swap is baloney or not?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>My personal opinion --- Baloney!

>>>It does not matter HOW you lay out swap.

>>>>Did you say all swap is baloney or not?

No, I did not say "all swap is baloney". What I said, or tried to say, is that having all swap as PRIMARY SWAP, ie. one large swap volume, is baloney.

You said: "It is better to have everything in primary swap"

That is what I consider baloney.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Just so you understand, Patrick, you need lvol2 to boot up, right? And you can't boot up without swap, right? So I guess its not all baloney is it? You need swap to boot up.

Yes or no?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>you need lvol2 to boot up, right?

Yes

>>And you can't boot up without swap, right?

Yes.

>>So I guess its not all baloney is it? You need swap to boot up.

I never said you do not need swap. I never said to get rid of LVOL2.

Again, you said: ""It is better to have everything in primary swap"

That is the statement I disagree with.

For all I care you **COULD** have 24 GB of primary swap (LVOL2) or you could 1 GB of Primary swap (LVOL2) and 23 GB of secondary swap. I don't care. BUT, worrying about what layout will give the **best performance** when paging out is what I have a problem with.

And you still have not explained your "8gb of primary swap in ram" statement.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

It is better to have everything in primary swap and yours is into 24 gb of 2ndary swap. Not good. However, 8GB is a lot of primary swap. You can play around with this formula and see if changing maxswapchunk helps.

Keep it up Patrick.