3374 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: swapinfo -tam HIGH (dbc_max_pct=50)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>yes

Yes to what? Have you changed dbc_max_pct to 5%?

>But my 8GB memory only have 800MB + FS 800MB swap which not possible to increase due to lack of FS space.

If you can't afford more device swap, you'll have to stop running so many processes.

I assume this is related to your other thread:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1425598

Why do you have so many f90webm processes?
Akif_1
Super Advisor

Hi Dennis,

I appreciate your valuable response.

Almost 500 users connect Oracle application - vis - Oracle database.

The "/u01/midhome/bin/f90webm server webfile=HTTP-0,0,0,cfg2" create each process whenever user connected.

ex:500 users create 500 process of above stack.

Regd's
T(ogether) E(very one) A(chive) M(ore)
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Reduce your ninode to 4096. That is more than enough...
Also recommend setting vx_ninode to anything from 20,000 to 40,000.

What's your maxdsiz & maxssiz set to?
Remember, Oracle wants maxdsiz somewhat large, but I'm running 10.2, (8Gb mem) and performance runs fine with maxdsiz turned back down. We have about 500 folks hitting it here, plus external querries constantly being run by folks via web. No performance issues.

One last thing...if it's showing a high memory usage, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means that memory is busy. You know you have an issue if you 'page out' alot. So instead of swapinfo, what is vmstat showing. Clear your counters using:
vmstat -z

Then monitor it by using the vmstat -nS 1 10 periodically. If you are seeing alot of page-outs then get back with us.

Rita
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> Even though after dbc_max_pct=20 value changed still memory usage is high. The http process and forms connection increase considerably. Need help to solve the issue.

Adjusting dbc_max_pct and changing the ninode parameter might reduce memory usage by a few megs. There are only three things that will help:

1. Reduce the number of users.

2. Tell your Oracle DBA to reduce the size of SGA by half.

3. Double or triple the amount of RAM in your system.

Simply put, your system is working at its maximum which is a good thing unless performance is not acceptable. Choice #1 is probably not practical. Choice #2 will work but performance will likely do down quite a bit. #3 is the solution. Your system has no room for growth and is simply undersized.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Did you put up any additional disk swap?
---------------------
There are additional things to tune that often folks don't want to hear about.
Tune your Oracle querries!

That is something developers & sometimes DBA's often don't want to be bothered with, but find which querries are causing the highest impacts. Have your DBA's to run the tools to find these and then (if they are worth their salt..) have them recommend some improvements on the statements. One bad querry being run by alot of folks can cause alot of issues. By cleaning up just a few bad ones can be beneficial for everyone.
Another thing you may find is that a querry isn't cleaning up (releasing resources) properly, hence slowing performance.

Another thing to look at is where are your Oracle logs being written to? which disk?
If you are allowing redo logs and cntl logs and archive logs, all hitting the same disk, you will have performance issues too. Granted this should show up on disk I/O, but waiting on the overhead I/O will cause other things to slow down.

My point is......look at performance issues as a 'whole'.
Akif_1
Super Advisor

Thanks Rita , Bill,

For your kind co-operation to solve the high memory issue.

I planning to increase one opmnctl component OC4J | OC4J_BI_Forms | 4992 | Alive
OC4J | OC4J_BI_Forms | 4993 | Alive
OC4J | OC4J_BI_Forms | 4991 | Alive

Right now i have only 3 and one more addition hopes for a better performance.

Find attach output file of kernel parameters which set during installation of Oracle Application Server 9.0.1.4.0.

Have a good day to all

Regard's
Akif_1
Super Advisor

Any valuable input will be appreciated
Akif_1
Super Advisor

Thanks all for their valuable input's,

Solve the problem by creating small vg of 4GB *2 on EVA and present it to the node as swapon.

Storage EVA is used due to lack of FS space.

The performance was excellent memory usage from 90% to 11% now.

Have a good day 2all