New Discussion юеВ

Re: swapinfo

SOLVED
Go to solution
himacs
Super Advisor

swapinfo

Hi Admins,

I found below output from swapinfor -atm.

reserve - 9289 -9289

What does it means?

regards,
himacs
10 REPLIES 10
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

# man swapinfo

reserve is the amount of space that has been reserved by processes. This is what COULD be needed if you start running short of physical memory.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Allow me to read the man page to you:

"reserve
Paging space on reserve. This is the amount of paging space that could be needed by processes that are currently running, but that has not yet been allocated from one of the above paging areas."

Pete

Pete
himacs
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for ur replay..

Actually my Q is , output shows available is -9289.What does it means? any serious memory issue?

regards
himacs
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> Actually my Q is , output shows available is -9289. What does it means?

The number is reported as a negative value. Think of this as subtracting the reserved memory used from a starting value of zero (reserved).

> any serious memory issue?

That's not possible to intelligently comment until you post the whole output of 'swapinfo -tam'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>JRF: The number is reported as a negative value. Think of this as subtracting the reserved memory

Right. This value should be logically subtracted from the FREE value under dev.
vaishakh k
Advisor

Dear Himacs,

The reserve space in swapinfo shows the memory pages . the - symbol is due to as substracting the reserved memory. This is not a serious memory issue.Check with 'swapinfo -tam' out put . First Read manual page for swapinfo.

Hope this help you in single extend.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Himacs,

Read this to understand swapinfo.

ftp://hprc.external.hp.com/memory.htm#swapinfo_defined
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

HI,
Can you post the full output of
#swapinfo -tam

Suraj
Taifur
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Himacs

>>reserve - 9289 -9289

9289 which is the amount of paging space that could be needed by processes that are currently running, but that has not yet been allocated from one of the above paging areas.

swapinfo prints information about device and file system paging space. (Note: the term `swap' refers to an obsolete implementation of virtual memory; HP-UX actually implements virtual memory by way of paging rather than swapping. This command and others retain names derived from `swap' for historical reasons.)

reserve
Paging space on reserve. This is the amount of paging space that could be needed by processes that are currently running, but that has not yet been allocated from one of the above paging areas.

Check below link for details.

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90692/swapinfo.1M.html

If it helps , pls assign point.

Rgds//
Taifur