1752288 Members
3496 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

swinstall of PHNE_22507

Linda Card
Frequent Advisor

swinstall of PHNE_22507

I am using 10.20 and installed a patch earlier today (PHNE_28760) without any problem. But then I went to install PHNE_22507 and it errors out with either can't find the swagent.log or thinks the source is a tape.
1. I downloaded the .zip to a PC and unzipped it.
2. Then I ftpd the files to the HP box into a directory called /install-patch/tcp
3. After cd to /install/tcp, I did: sh phne_22507 and it created the PHNE_22507.depot and PHNE_22508.text files.
4. I stood in /install-patch/tcp and ran
/usr/sbin/swinstall -x autoreboot=true -x match_target=true \ (end of first line)
-s /install/tcp/PHNE_22507.depot

It starts and then gets

" PHNE_22507.depot: This source is a tape device. ".....

and

Cannot open the logfile on this target or source. Possibly the media is read-only or there is a permission problem"

I have have perms liberally.

I read (on this forum) to look for the swagent.log file in the root of the patch directory and the swlock file in the catagory directory by tar tvfing the .depot file. I noted that there were 44 entries (wc -l) in my orig .depot file. There was no swagent.log so I created (using forum details) and the swlock file was missing from the catalog directory so I touch / chown / chmod that too. Then the forum said to "register the depot". No idea what that means. I just tar'd the directory with the two additional files and tried to swinstall it. Same results. Curious too, when I tar tvfd the new .depot, it had 57 entries (wc -l). I have re-downloaded and tried reinstalling with the same results.

I have rebooted numerous times to ensure a good 'flush'.

Any idea how to apply this stubborn patch?

Linda
5 REPLIES 5
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: swinstall of PHNE_22507

Hi Linda,

What type of system are you installing on? This patch is specifically for s800 systems, so if you're installing on a s700 10.20 system you'd need PHNE_22506. I couldn't tell from the Sendmail patch you installed, since that one installs on either 700 or 800 systems.

Have you verified that the .o files downloaded correctly by comparing the cksum values of the .o files in the depot against the values listed in the patch catalog? That might indicate whether your depot is corrupted and that you should try downloading it again.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Do not unzip the patch on the PC.

Download the patch.
Ftp the patch to the HP machine in Binary mode. I usually put the patch in /tmp.

Go to /tmp and find your unzip utility.
# whereis unzip
My unzip was in /usr/local/bin, so I execute
# /usr/local/bin/unzip patch.zip
inflating: patch_manifest
inflating: README_hp-ux
inflating: create_depot_hp-ux_10
inflating: PHNE_22507

Now your patch is ready to be installed with swinstall.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Linda Card
Frequent Advisor

Dave,
I am using what we call a HP 3600. A uname -a shows "HP-UX mouse B.10.20 9000/785" So does that mean that this box is a 700 and should have PHNE_22506 loaded? It has PHNE_22506 installed (per swlist -l product | grep -i arpa). But the security scan that prompted all this patching indicated a TCPPred vulnerability, thus I dug and found the PHNE_22507 patch. Does it apply to my box? And if not, then is 22506 the most current TCPPred/ARPA patch?

I don't know how to check the .o files cksums and may not need to if this patch doesn't go on my box.

Cheryl,
I did unzip it on a PC then FTP it. Ooops. So I used an unzip I found on my HP box. Then I tried the swinstall on the newly-unzipped but still got the "source is a tape device" error. I do appreciate the tip on using the correct unzip though.

Appreciate any further ideas from y'all.

Linda

Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Yep. If you have PHNE_22506 loaded, that's what you need. The uname output shows you're on a workstation (700 series system).
--
Jeff Traigle
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

You might try downloading the file in tar/sd archive format. Again ftp the file over in binary format. Once it is there we can test that the download is good by reading the file with tar:
# tar tvf /tmp/PHNE_22507.tar (or whatever you called the tar file)

If you get a tar error, there is a problem in the download and/or ftp.

If no error, let's stop and restart the swagent daemon:
# /usr/sbin/swagentd stop
OR
# ps -ef |grep swagentd
# kill -15 {pid_of_swagentd}
# /usr/sbin/swagentd -r

Try swinstall again.
"Downtime is a Crime."