Operating System - HP-UX
1748081 Members
5215 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: swinstall "Permission Denied" error when trying to install to separate target directory.

BrianOB

swinstall "Permission Denied" error when trying to install to separate target directory.

I am trying to install a .depot file with the following command:

/usr/sbin/swinstall -s /opt/apps/svn/dep_packages/expat-2.0.1-ia64-11.23.depot expat -t /opt/apps/svn/bin/

I do not have root access, but I am owner and have full access to the /opt/apps/svn/ subdirectory.
I get an error saying I do not have sufficient permissions to select the target "host:/". However, I believed the "-t" allowed me to specify which directory I can install the files to. So why am I still getting permission errors? I did read you can only use "-t" with HP OpenView Software Distribution, which I am not sure if we have. If I do not have this, is there a way to install this depot file to an alternative directory without root access?

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: swinstall "Permission Denied" error when trying to install to separate target directory.

-t is a file with a list of targets. You seem to indicate the target directly. But if you want to install in /opt/apps/svn/bin/, there are two ways to do it.
1) Alternate root: ... @ /opt/apps/svn/bin
2) Alternate location: ... product-name,l=opt/apps/svn/bin

Note: Both of these will put the files in:
/opt/apps/svn/bin/the-normal-location/foo

>I do not have root access, but I am owner and have full access to the /opt/apps/svn/ subdirectory.

That's right, you can't use swinstall unless you have been granted permission or you use:
-x run_as_superuser=false