Go to solution
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

switching from jetadmin to jetdirect

HP-UX 11.11
Currently have several printers set up
via jetadmin. I would like to switch to
jetdirect since jetadmin is obsolete.

My question is can I leave my printers the way they are and just install new printers with jetditect. Or will I need to delete all my printers and re-add them?
6 REPLIES 6
VK2COT
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: switching from jetadmin to jetdirect

Hello,

You do not necessarily need to delete old printers. However, it is recommended to do it.

An excellent reference to migration
path from JetAdmin to JetDirect is here:

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1206065081338+28353475&threadId=1213685

Cheers,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if I remember correctly, either the installation process or the first call of 'hppi' will ask you about a conversion of jetadmin-defined printers.
So I assume, there is a seperatly callable utility somewhere ...

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

First thanks everyone. I didn't find any documentation on this at HPs web site or any where else on the web

Peter is it a separate utility that needs to be downloaded or is it built in on jetdirect?
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

it's contained in Jetdirect.
The 'automatic' conversion question to the installer was given under Solaris however, if I remember correctly.
I think, after a backup of your printer definitions (you can do this even with SAM), you should give a try the a Jetdirect-update an look ...
If everything fails, you can go back to start via a 'swremove' + restore of your printers.

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
amiacha
Occasional Advisor

I think "transferqueue" is the name of the utility.

#man transferqueue

for more information.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

while transferqueue will work, you need to use the correct one.

"/opt/hpnp/bin/transferqueue" is the one provided with JetAdmin and is for migrating between servers.

"/opt/hpnpl/bin/transferqueue" is the one provided with JetDirect and can transfer queues between servers -or- convert form JetAdmin to JetDirect within the same server

The are README pages in /opt/hpnp and /opt/hpnpl that are worth a look