108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

syslogd not forwarding after reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

syslogd not forwarding after reboot

I have recently configured syslogd on three HP servers to forward messages to a 4th (Linux). The source servers are running HPUX 11.0 and 11.i

I modified /etc/syslogd.conf to:
# @(#) $Revision: 74.1 $
#
# syslogd configuration file.
#
# See syslogd(1M) for information about the format of this file.
#
mail.debug /var/adm/syslog/mail.log
*.info;mail.none /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
*.alert /dev/console
*.alert root
*.emerg *

# remote Root command loging
*.info @scribe

The forwarding to scribe seems to work fine until one of the UX servers is rebooted. All logging works, except for the forwarded messages. The message forwarding will work again as soon as syslogd is manually started or restarted (/sbin/init.d/syslogd start -or- kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`)

Forwarding only fails with the instance of syslogd that starts automaticaly after a reboot. Is there possibly an issue involving the timing of the startup of the inet processes and syslogd? Or am I overlooking something else.

Thanks,
Dan
...skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
4 REPLIES 4
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

Re: syslogd not forwarding after reboot

Note: Though it doesn't show above, there are tabs in the syslogd.conf file.
...skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

It is possible "scribe" (I suppose this is your Linux Syslog server) is not yet recognised (not on DNS?) at the time syslogd starts?

Trying putting in a /etc/hosts entry for the server where you want to forward syslog messages.
Hakuna Matata.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Try moving the /sbin/rc2.d/S220syslogd to /sbin/rc3.d/S99syslogd, so, syslogd will be initiated after all network services.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Dan Bolton
Frequent Advisor

Got it! Thanks guys!!

I tested both solutions, and both of them had syslogd forwarding messages on re-boot. I tried Ivan's first because that is the direction I was already thinking, plus it would cover the DNS issue and any other net service timing problems.

As I thought about it, however, I was concerned about not having syslogd running at runlevel 2, so I tried the hosts file fix next, with the desired result.

Ultimately I chose Nelson's fix (/etc/hosts) as it allowed syslogd to start earlier in the start-up process, at the "normal" time.

Thanks to both of you for a quick answer!
Dan