1753893 Members
7631 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

system freeze

ngth

system freeze

Hi all,
I had a ssytem which did not responde to network request and when i checked the console the cursor was blinking with no respond from keyboard. so i went into service processor mode with control-b and got the GSP prompt. now what i did next was an rs command to reset and it came back with the console login prompt. what i want is find out what happened at time of freeze.

how do i do this and what options shall i take to it?

thank you for helping me a non-HP UX person.

kind regards,
Tom
10 REPLIES 10
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Re: system freeze

Hello ngth,
you should analyze crash which located below path
/var/adm/crash

you should also check error logs which located in below path
/var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi ngth,

You are suppose to give TC from GSP prompt not RS if you want to analyse what went wrong.

There is a huge difference between RS and TC.

RS will just reset the system which forcefully reboot the system. Whereas TC will trigger Transfer of Control signal to the system which inturn take the system crash image and store it in filesystem. You can analyse the crash images to find what was running at that point of time and what went wrong.

Now you don't have much to analyse. However you can look into /var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log , console logs, event logs
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
ngth

Thanks Avizen, but the /var/adm/crash was not there for this occurence meaning it did not crash per se. Checking the syslog it was showing anything before the reset. appeared to be overwritten due to going into GSP. how do i enable it such that its not overwritten by the GSP?

kind regards.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>appeared to be overwritten due to going into GSP. how do I enable it such that its not overwritten by the GSP?

There is nothing you can do. The GSP didn't reset it but hard rebooting may have caused it to not be flushed.

What was the time difference between the last entry and when you rebooted?
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Hello ngth,

use putty to store GSP result in notepad file, once you get GSP console apply below command.

Collect the GSP logs:

GSP> SL --> select E for error logs --> filter events (select NO) --> capture the hexcode events dump.

i am not really sure you will get details info, regarding the issue but can try.

Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Again,

>>>Checking the syslog it was showing anything before the reset. appeared to be overwritten due to going into GSP.<<<

It is not overwritten. As I mentioned you should look /var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log.

Whenever system reboots, /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log will be moved as /var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log and only new entries will be logged in syslog.log

So if you want to see the old entries, you should look into OLDsyslog.log
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
ngth

Hi ,

I checked the OLDsyslog file and the last entries were:

Apr 23 22:12:40 blkdr1 tftpd[7176]: Timeout (no requests in 10 minutes)
Apr 24 00:00:00 blkdr1 su: + tty?? root-tivoli
nothing follows...

and then with the current syslog --->

Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 syslogd: restart
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: gate64: sysvec_vaddr = 0xc0002000 for 2 pages
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: Unexpected interrupt on EIRR bit 51
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: NOTICE: nfs3_link(): File system was registered a
t index 3.
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: NOTICE: autofs_link(): File system was registered
at index 6.
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: NOTICE: cachefs_link(): File system was registere
d at index 7.
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: 0 sba
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: 0/0 lba
Apr 27 10:31:16 blkdr1 vmunix: 0/0/0/0 btlan

Proboi
Advisor

Greetings Tom,
New syslog would not point to an old issue UNLESS THE ISSUE PERSISTS!! <--

and you were right it looks like an absolute hang nothing written to the syslog, ( might be hardware !! )

does your IOSCAN look good?? does it show "UNCLAIMED" or "NO_HW"

you can get your hardware checked by sending the /var/tombstones/ts99 file for analysis,

i don't want to give false hopes here "crashdump analysis" would not be possible from software side!! next time you might want to run a TC

for now, you can look at what we have -- the log files

/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log <--- PLZ check
/var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
/var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log
/var/adm/rc.log

V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

>Apr 24 00:00:00 blkdr1 su: + tty?? root-tivoli
There seems to run a cron job at midnight.
Check the job and the hardware involved ...

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***