1753789 Members
7758 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

system isn't coming up

Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

system isn't coming up

Hi, I have a system which happnes to be down. While trying to reboot, its failing on primary boot with message "failed to initialize". The I try to reboot using alternate path and I am getting hte following..."/stand/vmunix - not executable" Any idea how I can bring this system back o line.

I do have the latest make recovery on site. Any help is greatly appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Re: system isn't coming up

Try to boot with old copy of vmunix, vmunix.prev while in ISL prompt otherwise make_Recovery will be the best choice.

-USA..
Good Luck..
baiju_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

Did you do kernel rebuild before rebooting .

Break the auto boot process , and do
interact with IPL and in ISL prompt

ISL > hpux -ll /stand/system

See that vmunix and vmunix.prev ar
e listed .

Then you can try with alternate kernel.

ISL>hpux /stand/vmunix.prev

Do you have a mirror disk to boot from alt. disk ?

Ragrds,
BL.

Good things Just Got better (Plz,not stolen from advertisement -:) )
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Here is the process to boot from alternate vmunix.

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000080020889

-USA..
Good Luck..
DCE
Honored Contributor

If the booting from vmunix.prev from the primary drive does not work, be sure to try vmunix.prev from the mirror (just in case of a hardware failure)
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

I think I have a bad boot disk. I treid going to ISL>, then do hpux ll /stand, I got, could't find /stand. Then I did "hpux /stand/vmunix.prev, I got :not executable".

I did see the message boot failed so I'm very much incliend to say that I have a bad boot disk. And also I may not have a good mirror or something.

How does make recovery tape work? Do I just put the tape in and reboot? Any configurations I need to do?
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

put the tape in the drive
reset the box by either a power down and power up or from GSP or CM prompt, issuing an "RS" command. (to get to GSP, at the console, hit ctrl-b)

interrupt the boot sequence when you are given the chance of 10 seconds to press any key. At this point press some key and stop.

then type search and look for the sequential media line. Note the pX number at the beginning of this line and type

boot pX

then let it go boot it. If you come to a menu which looks like hpux install menu, select install option as this will totally dump the image from your tape onto the disk. Make sure you have a good disk to install this image onto. Especially if you are suspicious that your boot disk may have died, you may want to get that one checked before doing this, or at the install time, you will have top select the mirror drive as your primary disk from now onm and dump the image on this one.

Hi, If your boot disks were properly mirrored, it could just be that your AUTO file has the wrong boot command. Try interacting with IPL and issuing the command ISL> hpux -lq

This will boot with the low quorum specified which will let a system boot that has less than 51% of the disks in a volume group available.

HTH

Lee
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

okay I just restored a backup for my system from last week. I look in /stand and I see the following. What is /stand/dklm/* versus /stad/vmunix. Should I be using something else to boot from?

1024 1 /stand/dlkm
1024 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev
1024 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/mod.d
7336 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/mod.d/krm
75 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/mod_register
24 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/node.d
718160 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/symtab
2107 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/system
1024 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/system.d
204 1 /stand/dlkm.vmunix.prev/system.d/kr

18749368 1 /stand/vmunix
18697520 1 /stand/vmunix.prev
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

/stand/dlkm are dynamically loadable kernel modules. Those are loaded by the kernel when appropriate. /stand/vmunix is definitely what you want to boot from.