8130 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

system showing high memory usage

Jenny John
Advisor

system showing high memory usage

Hi
I am facing a issue of high memory usage in HPUX .I want to know which process is occupied the memory and not releasing the memory.
4 REPLIES 4
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Re: system showing high memory usage

Hi Jenny,

You can use Glance or kmeminfo tool idendify the process wise memory usage.

kmeminfo tool will be very useful to know the memory usage.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Jenny John
Advisor

the memory utilization of our HPUX server is increasing exponentialy. i have used kmeminfo to gatjer the stats but uable to find any solution
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Jenny,

I am not sure what is the options you are using with kmeminfo tool to analyse it.

# ./kmeminfo -> will give you the cumulative usage of system and user process.

# ./kmeminfo -user --> will give you the user process wise usage. From that you can identify which processes are using more memory.
If those process really needs high memory then you need to increase the physical memory. In some cases, improperly coded application may consume high physical memory and won't release at all. If that is the case work with application vendor to fix the issue.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

"...increasing exponentially..."

Sounds like a memory leak.

You find memory leaks by taking a measure every 15 o 20 minutes via cron with this command.

UNIX95=1 ps -ef -o vsz,pid,ppid,state,wchan,comm | sort -rn | head >> outfile

Add some headers and newlines for readability.

The definition of a memory leak is a process's consumption of vsz (* see 'ps' man page *) increasing over time. Thus, the need for a 2 - 3 day report. Although, you'll probably see growth by tomorrow.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law