108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

tar tv fails with offset errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

tar tv fails with offset errors

I have a built in DDS3 tape drive on a DS10. I can write to the tape using tar cv. That appears to work fine. When I try to check the contents with tar tv, it reads a few files then gives many errors of the form:
tar: [offset 20m+150k+0]: I/O error
followed by :
File data is corrupt
I have tried backing up different file systems in case the file really was corrupt but I get the same error referencing a different file.
4 REPLIES 4
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: tar tv fails with offset errors

Try with another cartridge.
Then try to use vdump instead of tar to see what happens.
In case of same error you should replace the tape drive. But first try to clean it.
I do not think it is a software problem, but please supply more infirmations about your OS (version, patch level etc).
Regards
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

I have tried a different tape and cleaning the drive several times. No success.
I am on Tru64 5.1a
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

What is the device name that your are using?

Try with:

tar cvf /dev/tape/tapeXc
tar tvf /dev/tape/tapeXc

If the problem persist, you should check also check your hardware, replace the cable, connect to another SCSI adapter (preferably one not used by disks).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Looks like the tape drive is boken. vdump fails as well as does using different device files and reading the tape back on another drive. Time to call in an engineer to replace the drive.