New Discussion юеВ

Re: telnetd

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tarek
Super Advisor

telnetd

Hi there,
i have installed a linux Redhat 7.0 on my network and i'm trying to configure it. I'm having problems with telnetd. From linux i can telnet to other pc but i can't vice versa.
Some one told me that i have to download the telnet server because it isn't installed. I did that but i'm still not able to telnet to linux. What do i have to configure to let it work? Port is set in /etc/services
Thanks
Tarek
8 REPLIES 8
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello,

There are a few steps to follow in order to solve your problem.

1) First of all, try:

telnet localhost

and see if you can telnet to your own server. If you get a message saying "connection refused", you don't have telnet enabled. If that is the case, check your /etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file if you're using xinetd) and enable telnet. Don't forget to do killall -1 inetd (or killall -1 xinetd if you're using xinetd).

2) If you don't see the "connection refused" message but nothing comes out on your screen, try to wait a little bit longer.
If you can see the telnetd message after a few minutes, you may have an incorrectly configured DNS/resolver. Temporarily move your /etc/resolv.conf file to /etc/resolv.conf.OLD. This will disable name server resolution. Try telnetting again to localhost and see if the problem still happens (PS: Don't forget to move /etc/resolv.conf.OLD back to /etc/resolv.conf after the test).

3) If you can telnet locally, try telnetting to your linux box remotely. If you see the "connection refused" message, you may have iptables, ipchains or a tcpwrapper blocking traffic. Do "iptables -F INPUT" and "ipchains -F input" as root and try again. If it still happens, check your /var/log/secure.log for relevant messages. Also, check the tcpd manpage if you see tcpd complaining about remote connections to the telnet port.

Note: Make sure you re-enable your iptables or ipchains after you finish the test!
4) When you telnet from another box, make sure you wait a LONG time before you give up. If after a long time you see the telnetd banner, again you may have a DNS problem (your host tries to "resolve" the remote connection but it cannot -- This procedure takes a while). In this case, follow the steps outlined in case (2) (renaming the /etc/resolv.conf file to something else) and try telnetting again.

Hope it helps,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
Tarek
Super Advisor

telnet from another host:
error:
Trying...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
The /etc/xinet.d/telnet is properly configured i think.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi,
did you check /etc/inetd.sec ?
Do not know if this applies to 7.x
Volker
Bernie Vande Griend
Respected Contributor

I'm thinking you checked this already, but make sure that in /etc/xinetd.d/telnet, that disable = no. If not, change this line and then restart xinetd.
Ye who thinks he has a lot to say, probably shouldn't.
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello tarek,

If it gives you a 'connection refused' right away I'd say you have a ipchains/iptables based solution blocking the outside world. If it takes a little while, you may have a tcpwrapper (tcpd) blocking your incoming telnetd connections.

Some steps:

1) Check /var/log/secure* and look for any clues (tcpd logs there)
2) Did you try (as root) ipchains -F input and iptables -F INPUT ?

Regards,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.
Tarek
Super Advisor

Hi all,
first of all thanks for the help your providing me.
I checked /var/log/secure, i have an authentication error:
login: FAILED LOGIN 1 From wsname FOR root, authentication failure.

output of iptables -F INPUT:
iptables v1.1.1 can't initialize iptables table 'filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?) Perhaps iptables on your kernel needs to be upgraded.

ipchains -F input no output.

Any further tip? Is there any file that allows telnet access as the /etc/ftpusers does for ftp remote access?
Thanks again.
Tarek

Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Looks like you don't have ipfilters or ipchains set up. Not very secure, but it shouldn't prevent you from telnetting into the machine.

First try telnetting as a normal user...root is not allowed to telnet into the machine directly (security risk). If you need to have this ability, just mv /etc/securetty to something else (although I wouldn't recommend it).

Also, when you're telnetting into the machine are you getting the login prompt? If not, then the message from /var/log/secure is not related to the problem since you're not entering any login informtion.

Make sure that telnetd is listening:

netstat -na |grep LISTEN|grep 23

should return something like:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:23 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

If not, then telnet is not running. Run the following command:

chkconfig --list|grep telnet

If it comes back with:

telnet: off

then run:

chkconfig telnet on

and try telnetting again.
Hope this helps.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans

Telnet is disabled in redhat linux 7.0 by default. To enable it got /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file. In that there'l be a line

"disable = yes"

make it to

"disable = no"

And thatz it.

bye
Sunil